Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Study suggestions for 70-300

Study suggestions for 70-300

=?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

I'm looking to take the 70-300 exam in a few months, and I've got some questions.

A co-worker gave me her Systems Analysis college text from about 10 years ago, and I've been studying that along with the Osborne Certification Press book. Both seem to be fairly good at explaining the how and some of the why for analysis. I've also got the MS book, which I agree with other threads, feels like it is not a very good teaching book. I'll probably look to get the Exam Cram as well, as that helped me get my NT 4.0 MCSE many years back.

My concern is that the MS book uses very different terms from either of the other books I'm studying, and it has some different modeling techniques, some that seem rather useless, like their conceptual design model. How important is it to know the "MS" way and terms vs. other system analyst techniques?

Vin

Cornishs' Exam cram, available at amazon. Its a good buy
even as a reference post exam.

Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

Ryan,

I've been told by a guy who already passed several MS exams that it is very
important to stick to Microsoft terms, principles and guidelines, regardless
of your *personal* opinion. In other word, the "MS" way is king, according
to that guy.

This exam is actually about MSF (Microsoft Solutions Framework) and you
should study this framework and all related stuff. The college text might be
also helpful, but only as a supplemental material broadening your view. Use
the 70-300 MS Press book as a base and explore all MSF books/articles
available to get good at that.

--
Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]
X-Unity Test Studio

"Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to take the 70-300 exam in a few months, and I've got some

questions.

> A co-worker gave me her Systems Analysis college text from about 10 years

ago, and I've been studying that along with the Osborne Certification Press
book. Both seem to be fairly good at explaining the how and some of the why
for analysis. I've also got the MS book, which I agree with other threads,
feels like it is not a very good teaching book. I'll probably look to get
the Exam Cram as well, as that helped me get my NT 4.0 MCSE many years back.

> My concern is that the MS book uses very different terms from either of

the other books I'm studying, and it has some different modeling techniques,
some that seem rather useless, like their conceptual design model. How
important is it to know the "MS" way and terms vs. other system analyst
techniques?

Galen

Ryan,

The 70-300 MS Press book goes over the Microsoft Solution
Framework, which is good to know. HOWEVER, it really
stinks for helping you prepare for the exam. I used Exam
Cram (book) along with Transcender (sample tests). I took
the exam in early December. The Exam Cram book was the
most helpful and included many sample questions and case
studies. The exam I took had 3 case studies which you
had to read and answer questions on. I'm not sure how
many total questions, maybe 35. I would say over 90% of
the questions could not be answer from the MS press
book. The Exam Cram probably covered 90% of the
questions. Most importantly it gave you an idea of what
to expect.

Galen

message

>> I'm looking to take the 70-300 exam in a few months,

and I've got some
>questions.
>>
>> A co-worker gave me her Systems Analysis college text

from about 10 years
>ago, and I've been studying that along with the Osborne

Certification Press
>book. Both seem to be fairly good at explaining the how

and some of the why
>for analysis. I've also got the MS book, which I agree

with other threads,
>feels like it is not a very good teaching book. I'll

probably look to get
>the Exam Cram as well, as that helped me get my NT 4.0

MCSE many years back.

>> My concern is that the MS book uses very different

terms from either of
>the other books I'm studying, and it has some different

modeling techniques,
>some that seem rather useless, like their conceptual

design model. How
>important is it to know the "MS" way and terms vs. other

system analyst
>techniques?
>
>.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFoYXNlbg==?=

first of all no offence Galen and others ok:
having said that I believe becoming MCSD is all about proving you are competent in using Microsoft technology, that includes designing according to their solution frame work. I don't believe getting through the exam by studying materials (not only brain dumps but cramming materials too) that aims only to get you through the exam does not give you this competence. but because they allow you to go through the exam without really giving you any experience of thorough understanding they just degrade the value of the exam (don't tell me about the exams quality - I’m not the one who design them)
I have to mention here that using Microsoft solution frame work together with their developing tools and languages correctly gives one of the best solutions that could be expected both performance wise and security wise and obviously error free.
so even if you use exam cram and brain dumps to get through the exam, please - please read Microsoft study guides and do required exercises to gain the required competence even after the exam.

Galen

I never said getting throught the exams makes you
competent in using Microsoft technology. The Exam Cram
book points this out and gives numerous references to
other study material within each chapter. This works
great for areas where you need or want additional
information.

Yes there are some sections on the exams where I take an
attitude where I just want to get through this as fast as
possible. And, that is ok.

I have 12 years experience programming and thank God have
always had a job. That means I'm constantly learning new
technologies. This experience far out ways any
certification.

The MS press book is good. BUT,even if you memorize it,
it will only help you answer a few questions on the exam.

Forget about the exam. If you want to learn about
Solution Rquirements, I would recommend reading the Exam
Cram book AND reading the references it gives.

Galen

quality - I?Tm not the one who design them)
>I have to mention here that using Microsoft solution

frame work together with their developing tools and
languages correctly gives one of the best solutions that
could be expected both performance wise and security wise
and obviously error free.
>so even if you use exam cram and brain dumps to get

through the exam, please - please read Microsoft study
guides and do required exercises to gain the required
competence even after the exam.

>.

Outback Dweller

Galen,

Would you be so kind to point out the authors of the Exam Cram for 70-300
that you've used?
There's a couple of books on this subject.

Also, I have a feeling that all of you "guru and swami" guys never tried
software contracting.
All your reasons and "opinions" for getting a raise/getting a job expose
you've never been on a job market
in 2002-2004. Typical situation is as follows. You've had a contract in
Visual Studio 6 and your customer
did not want to risk converting to .NET. Once your VS 6 contract is history,
all you can find is a .NET contract
where MCAD/MCSD certificate does not matter. If you do not happen to have a
commercially paid .NET experience,
recruiters won't talk to you, including recruiters from Microsoft itself.
This really means that MCSD certification
is worth 2 cents.

My understanding was one is a good match for a .NET project requirements if
one either has experience or certification.
Life proved I was wrong. But I'm still willing to spend a $200 bucks out of
my self-employed unemployed pocket
to finish the certification. Then I can start teaching .NET other fools and
make people happy

"Galen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:206b01c3e061$a06d6800$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ryan,
>
> The 70-300 MS Press book goes over the Microsoft Solution
> Framework, which is good to know. HOWEVER, it really
> stinks for helping you prepare for the exam. I used Exam
> Cram (book) along with Transcender (sample tests). I took
> the exam in early December. The Exam Cram book was the
> most helpful and included many sample questions and case
> studies. The exam I took had 3 case studies which you
> had to read and answer questions on. I'm not sure how
> many total questions, maybe 35. I would say over 90% of
> the questions could not be answer from the MS press
> book. The Exam Cram probably covered 90% of the
> questions. Most importantly it gave you an idea of what
> to expect.
>
> Galen

Galen

Exam Cram 2
ISBN 0-7897-2929-6

Outback Dweller

Amazon.com returns 61 result for "ISBN 0-7897-2929-6"
and 5272 results for "Exam Cram 2".

I do not have that many fingers to count them all

I'm glad MCSD taught you to give multiple-choice answers to single-point
questions.

"Galen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2ed501c3e1c7$e43cfed0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Exam Cram 2
> ISBN 0-7897-2929-6

Galen

When I do an advanced search and enter the ISBN. The
book doesn't exist. The 61 results are books that
reference this book. Anyway... sorry. I should have
given more info. (ISBN s.b. unique)

Cover has:
Exam Cram 2 (Que)
Exam 70-300
..Net Solution Architectures
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
Authors:
Randy Cornish
Thomas Moore
Don Pavoni
Eric Rockenbach

Inside Cover:
Analyzing Requirements and Defining .NET Solution
Architectures.

ISBN 0-7897-2929-6

in