Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Where to report phoney MS Sites and virus attacks...

Where to report phoney MS Sites and virus attacks...

˘harlie

Hi,

I keep getting emails from a number of phony sites claiming that they are MS
and are sending
me a security update.

The problem is that the download program that they are sending is the
W32.Swen.A@m
and W32.Swen.A@mm virus.

Some of the purported originating email addresses are:

"MS Technical Bulletin" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
"Microsoft Security Department" (E-Mail Removed)
"Security Division" (E-Mail Removed)
"Microsoft Corporation Program Security Division"
(E-Mail Removed)
"Microsoft Corporation Security Department" (E-Mail Removed)
"Customer Bulletin" tidwjwjgw@updates_msdn.net
"Microsoft" (E-Mail Removed)

I have simply been deleting them but perhaps MS would like to know who is
doing this.

I can just keep blocking and deleting them but this stuff may get through to
others and cause
some real damage.

What should I do?

Thank you,

Cindy Winegarden

In news: iDSNb.80972$na.43814@attbi_s04,
˘harlie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I keep getting emails from a number of phony sites claiming that they
> are MS and are sending me a security update. ....
> I have simply been deleting them but perhaps MS would like to know
> who is doing this.

Hi Charlie,

Microsoft has been aware of this problem for a long time (seems like this
virus has been around for a year). There's no way they can control the
virus, other than warning users to practice good security (have up-to_date
AV software, don't click on unexpected attachments, etc.)

Continue using your email rules to block and/or delete these messages.
There's really nothing else you can do.

(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

Cindy Winegarden wrote:
> In news: iDSNb.80972$na.43814@attbi_s04,
> ˘harlie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I keep getting emails from a number of phony sites claiming that they
>> are MS and are sending me a security update. ....
>> I have simply been deleting them but perhaps MS would like to know
>> who is doing this.

> Hi Charlie,
>
> Microsoft has been aware of this problem for a long time (seems like
> this virus has been around for a year). There's no way they can
> control the virus, other than warning users to practice good security
> (have up-to_date AV software, don't click on unexpected attachments,
> etc.)
>
> Continue using your email rules to block and/or delete these messages.
> There's really nothing else you can do.

Munge your e-mail address, never use your real e-mail addy in newsgroups,
especially the MS groups. Wait about 90 days or so for the archives of your
e-mail signed posts to drop off, then the number of Swen's should drop off.
At one point, I was getting 2,000 Swen's a day. It got so bad I had to
terminate the account.

--
Fris "Eternal Optimist" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

˘harlie

In addition to not posting email addresses in newsgroups,
I would recommend using yahoo.com email, (this is how I caught this problem)
because they automatically and for free, scan any files that you attempt to
download.

Thanks,

"FrisbeeŽ MCNGP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cindy Winegarden wrote:
> > In news: iDSNb.80972$na.43814@attbi_s04,
> > ˘harlie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I keep getting emails from a number of phony sites claiming that they
> >> are MS and are sending me a security update. ....
> >> I have simply been deleting them but perhaps MS would like to know
> >> who is doing this.

> > Hi Charlie,
> >
> > Microsoft has been aware of this problem for a long time (seems like
> > this virus has been around for a year). There's no way they can
> > control the virus, other than warning users to practice good security
> > (have up-to_date AV software, don't click on unexpected attachments,
> > etc.)
> >
> > Continue using your email rules to block and/or delete these messages.
> > There's really nothing else you can do.

> Munge your e-mail address, never use your real e-mail addy in newsgroups,
> especially the MS groups. Wait about 90 days or so for the archives of

your
> e-mail signed posts to drop off, then the number of Swen's should drop

off.
> At one point, I was getting 2,000 Swen's a day. It got so bad I had to
> terminate the account.
>
> --
> Fris "Eternal Optimist" beeŽ MCNGP #13
>
> http://www.mcngp.tk
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

> Certaholics - We're here if you're beyond help

˘harlie

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't concerned about the virus, what I was concerned about
was that people are fraudulently using MS' namespace to hurt people.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...