Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > gcc tutorial?

gcc tutorial?

Michael Coyne

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:03:46 +0200, JS said to the parser:

> Felix Rawlings wrote:
>
>> http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gcc/intro

> Hi the links gives me an error, I have tried
> http://www.network-theory.co.uk, which links to some books that can be
> ordered. Was that what you thought of?

Try:
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gccintro/

which is the online version. I expect Felix's fingers slipped in that /
by mistake.

Martin Ambuhl

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:18:33 +0200, JS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
>>anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

> There are a ton of C and C++ tutorials around, most of them will help you
> with the basics, but explicit instruction about gcc, mingw and most other 0
> cost compilers is right next door to non-existent.

This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

Felix Rawlings

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:03:46 +0200, JS wrote:

> Felix Rawlings wrote:
>
>> http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gcc/intro

> Hi the links gives me an error, I have tried
> http://www.network-theory.co.uk, which links to some books that can be
> ordered. Was that what you thought of?

Try this one:

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:06:49 -0600, Michael Coyne wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:03:46 +0200, JS said to the parser:
>
>> Felix Rawlings wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gcc/intro

>> Hi the links gives me an error, I have tried
>> http://www.network-theory.co.uk, which links to some books that can be
>> ordered. Was that what you thought of?

> Try:
> http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gccintro/
>
> which is the online version. I expect Felix's fingers slipped in that /
> by mistake.

Yep

dot@dot.dot

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:22:07 GMT, Martin Ambuhl <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
>have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
>about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

There is a difference between "information" and "instruction". Information
of a complex nature is often useless to people without some kind of
instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
explaining how and when to use it.

Keith Thompson

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:22:07 GMT, Martin Ambuhl <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
>>have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
>>about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

> There is a difference between "information" and "instruction". Information
> of a complex nature is often useless to people without some kind of
> instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
> explaining how and when to use it.

Sure. So be best advice we can give is, first, try the extensive
documentation that's included with gcc (which is admittedly more of a
reference than a tutorial), then, if that's inadequate, try asking in
gnu.gcc.help, where the question is much more topical than it is here.

Tux Wonder-Dog

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:22:07 GMT, Martin Ambuhl <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
>>have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
>>about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

> There is a difference between "information" and "instruction".
> Information of a complex nature is often useless to people without some
> kind of
> instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
> explaining how and when to use it.

I banged my head against the - to me then - opaque gcc compilation
instructions when I first encountered it in the form of DJGPP. I was used
to TurboC++ and its IDE.

When I started using Linux fulltime, and I started reading makefiles, etc,
it started to make sense. "gcc -o hello hello.c" makes sense to me now.
"mingw32-gcc -I resource.h simplewindow simplewindow.c" is where I'm
struggling now. (And the GNAT compilation instructions, as well. I still
haven't got the hang of them. gnat-bind ... uh, yes

It's all a matter of degree.

Wesley Parish
--
"Good, late in to more rewarding well."┬*┬*"Well,┬*you┬*tonight.┬*┬*And┬*I┬*was
lookintelligent woman of Ming home.┬*┬*I┬*trust┬*you┬*with┬*a┬*tender┬*silence."┬*┬*I

Dan Pop

In <d290pc$nbt$(E-Mail Removed)-c.dk> JS <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Rouben Rostamian wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, JS <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>>I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
>>>anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

>> What do you expect to find in a gcc tutorial?
>>

>Overview of the different compiler options and how in general to use the gcc
>when compiling c code.

The gcc compiler driver follows the classic Unix C compiler driver
principles of operation and conventions, so the section about using
the C compiler in any Unix tutorial will give you the basics.

For an overview of the gcc options, read the man page. And for any
additional questions on this topic use gnu.gcc.help.

Dan
--
Dan Pop <(E-Mail Removed)>

Gcc 3.4.X to Gcc 4.1.X upgrading kas C++ 1 04-22-2010 08:56 PM
GCC 3.4.3 and GCC 4.1.2 ashnin C++ 1 07-07-2008 01:10 PM
Template construction in old gcc 3.3.3 does not compile in gcc 3.4.4 eknecronzontas@yahoo.com C++ 5 09-17-2005 12:27 AM
gcc 2.95 and gcc 3.2 gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com C++ 8 03-16-2005 02:34 AM
C99 structure initialization in gcc-2.95.3 vs gcc-3.3.1 Kevin P. Fleming C Programming 2 11-06-2003 05:15 AM

Advertisments