Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Prblm: Radius, WLAN, roaming profiles and software install via group policies

Prblm: Radius, WLAN, roaming profiles and software install via group policies

Ola Theander

Dear subscribers

I've just added a WLAN-router to allow wireless access to our network. The
thing is that I have some initial problems that doesn't apply when we
connect by wire and I hope that I can get some help here.

Problem 1)

We distribute software using AD's group policies and unfortunately some of
the software we have must be installed using a group policy assigned to the
computer instead of a user, in this case AutoCAD 2004. We prefer to install
using user assigned policies but according to Autodesk the software must be
installed by a computer assigned GP.

The thing is that since we use Radius to authenticate to the WLAN-router the
network is not accessible until an actual user logs on and by that time the
computer assigned software doesn't initiate an install. Is there any
workaround to this problem?

Problem 2)

We also use roaming profiles which allows the user to log in on an arbitrary
computer and still have their documents and preferred environment
configuration accessible. The roaming profile configuration maps the "My
Documents" folder, Desktop and "Application Data" folder to a file server
instead of the local computer. This means that when the user logs off the
computer a synchronization sequence is initiated to copy the documents to
the assigned file server. The problem is that when this is done over the
WLAN it seems like the network connection is prematurely terminated, i.e.
before the synchronization is finished. This in turn means that the
synchronization fails and the user gets an annoying error message at each
log off and the files are not copied to the file server for backup and
roaming purposes.

I realize that I may have to resort to using WEP or WPA instead of Radius to
resolve these issues but before I do that I want to see if there is any
possible to solve them while still using Radius.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander