Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > C Debuggers?

C Debuggers?

infinity

I am using Borland C++ Builder 5 and the debugger included with it. I am
just learning C programming. The included debugger isn't much of a help to
me. Where can I find a better debugger for C?

jacob navia

infinity wrote:
> I am using Borland C++ Builder 5 and the debugger included with it. I am
> just learning C programming. The included debugger isn't much of a help to
> me. Where can I find a better debugger for C?

If you compile with borland there isn't any other since Borland's
debug info format was never disclosed.

If you compile with microsoft you can use theirs, it is a good one.
http://www.msdn.com. Search for MSVC 20005.

You can use also the gcc/Bloodshed compiler, but the debugger is not
very advanced, and sometimes fails often with windows programs.
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

The lcc-win32 features a compiler/debugger combination. The debugger
has some bugs, but is usable. http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

jacob

not@given.out

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:33:15 +0100, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>If you compile with borland there isn't any other since Borland's
>debug info format was never disclosed.
>
>If you compile with microsoft you can use theirs, it is a good one.
>http://www.msdn.com. Search for MSVC 20005.
>
>You can use also the gcc/Bloodshed compiler, but the debugger is not
>very advanced, and sometimes fails often with windows programs.
>http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
>
>The lcc-win32 features a compiler/debugger combination. The debugger
>has some bugs, but is usable. http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

Also there is Pelles-C which is mostly c99 compliant. The debugger is quite
helpful, using standard COFF and Codeview formats. The IDE also includes a
resource editor and several nice code editing tools.

www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc

If a free standing debugging tool is helpful the OP could try OllyDebug, a
PE debugger that understands COFF and Codeview well enough to plow through
most Win32 platform executables.

http://home.t-online.de/home/Ollydbg/

I use both and have very few grumbles about either.