Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > kalani vs msft Training Kit

kalani vs msft Training Kit

kalia

Hello,
Wanted to know how the microsoft MCAD/MCSD Training Kit
compares to the KAlani training guide ?
Is there a distinct advantage that the kalani books have
over the msft books ?
Has anyone comapred the two ?

Thank you.
Kalia.

Lorne Smith

Kalani book = Good resource...
MSFT book = Good toilet paper

"kalia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:079501c3d14b$cbc2cec0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> Wanted to know how the microsoft MCAD/MCSD Training Kit
> compares to the KAlani training guide ?
> Is there a distinct advantage that the kalani books have
> over the msft books ?
> Has anyone comapred the two ?
>
> Thank you.
> Kalia.

lol .. yeah Ive seen it on sale at costco...
But seriously is it that bad ? Does it not cover the
topics sufficiently or is it because it is at a basic
level?

I stopped buying MS Press training books after the sql server 2000
ones. The amount of errors was embarrassing. I've flicked through a
few of the net dot books someone here bought in a while back, and for
me they don't even make good primers.

Don't see way this should be so, in general the ms press books (non
certification) are excellent.

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:10:08 -0800,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>lol .. yeah Ive seen it on sale at costco...
>But seriously is it that bad ? Does it not cover the
>topics sufficiently or is it because it is at a basic
>level?

Dylan Phillips

I have to vote with Lorne. I have all the MCAD/MCSD Training Kits, but I've
gotten the most value out of the Kalani books. In my experience both the
Exam Cram Series and the Full Training Kits are very valuable.

As a money saving side note, these kits are available on Safari.
(safari.oreilly.com). I paid only $19.99 bucks for access to them. I paid
$150.00 for the MCAD/MCSD Training Kits (and they don't make good toliet
paper!).

Good Luck on the Exams!
Dylan

"kalia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:079501c3d14b$cbc2cec0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> Wanted to know how the microsoft MCAD/MCSD Training Kit
> compares to the KAlani training guide ?
> Is there a distinct advantage that the kalani books have
> over the msft books ?
> Has anyone comapred the two ?
>
> Thank you.
> Kalia.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I would disagree. The material is not very deep, but it is a good resource
.... if you do the labs. Of course, any book is good if you will actually
start coding. ;->

The .NET MSPress books are a bit shallow (as far as complexity is
concerned), but they cover a wide array of techniques necessary to pass the
exam. The .NET exam guides are far better than previous MSPress exam guides.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Lorne Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uT$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kalani book = Good resource...
> MSFT book = Good toilet paper
>
> "kalia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:079501c3d14b$cbc2cec0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> > Wanted to know how the microsoft MCAD/MCSD Training Kit
> > compares to the KAlani training guide ?
> > Is there a distinct advantage that the kalani books have
> > over the msft books ?
> > Has anyone comapred the two ?
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Kalia.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The .NET books are not bad. I will agree that the SQL Server 2000 books
sucked royally. The best way to use the MSPress .NET cert books is to make
sure you do all of the labs. I have taken a couple of guys through the books
and had great success on the tests. I also use practice tests (Transcender
in this case) to gauge where the guys are before sending them out to try to
cert.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I stopped buying MS Press training books after the sql server 2000
> ones. The amount of errors was embarrassing. I've flicked through a
> few of the net dot books someone here bought in a while back, and for
> me they don't even make good primers.
>
> Don't see way this should be so, in general the ms press books (non
> certification) are excellent.
>
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:10:08 -0800,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >lol .. yeah Ive seen it on sale at costco...
> >But seriously is it that bad ? Does it not cover the
> >topics sufficiently or is it because it is at a basic
> >level?

General Protection Fault

kalia wrote:

> Hello,
> Wanted to know how the microsoft MCAD/MCSD Training Kit
> compares to the KAlani training guide ?
> Is there a distinct advantage that the kalani books have
> over the msft books ?
> Has anyone comapred the two ?

Microsoft Training Kits are trash.
Kalani books are king.