Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wifi on Win Me!

Wifi on Win Me!

Veritech

couple of questions, any answers welcome.

1) Are there any and third party applications that would allow me to better
configure my network or lack of a network.

2) Has anyone actually got a ad-hoc network to work on a Win Me laptop using
a Wifi b pcmcica card, cause i'm close to smashing mine to bits

3) I have've had it up to about here with the ad- hoc crap now, would buying
a wireless router make my life any easier or would it just be accepting
defeat

Thanks

Commander Q

"Veritech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Rpm%c.444$(E-Mail Removed)...
> couple of questions, any answers welcome.
>
> 1) Are there any and third party applications that would allow me to
> better
> configure my network or lack of a network.
>
> 2) Has anyone actually got a ad-hoc network to work on a Win Me laptop
> using
> a Wifi b pcmcica card, cause i'm close to smashing mine to bits
>
> 3) I have've had it up to about here with the ad- hoc crap now, would
> buying
> a wireless router make my life any easier or would it just be accepting
> defeat
>
> Thanks

I'm not sure if i should mention this (my computer might get arsey and cause
me more wifi hell...) but here goes!

I have a winXP desktop (inc SP2), with a belkin usb wifi 802b adapter. This
connects to my windows me laptop with it's belkin 802b pcmcia card. Network
is ad-hoc mode - theres no access point, and i just use the windows internet
connection sharing stuff to share the adsl line which my desktop's connected
to.

It's not all been plain sailing, and has taken a while to get set up
properly. Perhaps because one of my failings is that i'm impatient and so i
dont read any manuals - its all been a bit trial and errorish, but
surprisingly XP Service pack 2's 'wireless network setup wizard' has done
the business for me - it's worth a shot. I'm using XP to configure the
desktop adapter, and the belkin software for the laptop (winme)

I have recently toyed with the idea of getting a wifi router / modem, i
think it would make life simpler, but for the time being it's working ok...

Though now, you must understand that i've done a 'murray walker' and its all
going to fall on its arse!!