Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Free open source IDE for C programming

Free open source IDE for C programming

Greenhorn

Hi,
I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the
editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1
option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i
don't seem to have online help i expect.

Thanks in advance.

Greenhorn.

Morgan Pugh

On 8 Feb 2005 12:47:14 -0800, "Greenhorn" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
> I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
>C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the
>editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1
>option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i
>don't seem to have online help i expect.

I started to learn C today (have started a few times before but never
had the time to spend on it) and I am using Dev-C++ and find it to be
great so far. The online help would be nice but I have not seen
anything that is available offline for free. I just google for
whatever I need or use UNIX man pages online.

If you find anything let me know as it would be cool to have an open
source MSDN type library

Nathaniel L. Walker

"Greenhorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
> I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
> C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the
> editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1
> option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i
> don't seem to have online help i expect.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greenhorn.

Borland C++BuilderX Personal Edition. If you have a machine capable
of running it (512MB RAM I recommend) it is a good IDE to start with.
It comes with both Borland and MinGW compilers, has a great interface
to GDB and that history feature we all love (compare changes you've made
to a file and undo/redo them if you want). It comes with MFC libraries for
Borland C++ too since I browed the windows archives on my linux machine
and seen the libraries and include files in there.

Nathaniel L. Walker

Nathaniel L. Walker

Just realized you wanted Open Source.

There are very few Open Source IDEs with comprehensive online help.
Of all the Open Source IDEs, I like Eclipse+CDT best.

Nathaniel L. Walker

P.S. and I guess since you're doing C MFC wouldn't interest you much
either

browed = browsed btw

Ciao!

"Nathaniel L. Walker" <NatLWalker@no_email.org> wrote in message
news:cubkfj$edo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Greenhorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hi,
> > I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
> > C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the
> > editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1
> > option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i
> > don't seem to have online help i expect.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Greenhorn.
> >

> Borland C++BuilderX Personal Edition. If you have a machine capable
> of running it (512MB RAM I recommend) it is a good IDE to start with.
> It comes with both Borland and MinGW compilers, has a great interface
> to GDB and that history feature we all love (compare changes you've made
> to a file and undo/redo them if you want). It comes with MFC libraries

for
> Borland C++ too since I browed the windows archives on my linux machine
> and seen the libraries and include files in there.
>
> Nathaniel L. Walker

Karthik Kumar

Greenhorn wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
> C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the
> editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1
> option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i
> don't seem to have online help i expect.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greenhorn.

If you are using Linux, I would suggest kdevelop .

Michael B Allen

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:47:14 -0500, Greenhorn wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
> C programming.

vim

:->

Mike