Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > So I bought K&R...

So I bought K&R...

Daniel Haude

....and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

--D.

Joona I Palaste

Daniel Haude <(E-Mail Removed)-hamburg.de> scribbled the following:
> ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
> posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
> having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
> any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

Well, if you had bought a Schildt book, you would have encountered some
surprises. But that would not have been a good thing.

"The trouble with the French is they don't have a word for entrepreneur."
- George Bush

Default User

Daniel Haude wrote:
> ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and

occasionally
> posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C

FAQ, and
> having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter

> any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

What sort of surprises were you hoping for?

Brian

Andrey Tarasevich

Daniel Haude wrote:
> ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
> posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
> having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
> any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

Surprises? If you are specifically looking for surprises, you should try
playing Russian roulette. What kind of "surprises" did you expect to
find in the K&R book?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Randy Howard

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-hamburg.de>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-hamburg.de says...
> Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

Are you short of things to light your fireplace with?

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard

Neil Kurzman

Daniel Haude wrote:

> ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
> posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
> having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
> any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?
>
> --D.

If the book answers your questions it is good.
The Schildt is a phenomena. I bought it years ago. before the net. It
answer a lot of my questions. So I liked it. But if you look around you will
find as many people like it as hate it. The haters note that it leans toward
the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them, and my give the wrong answer.

William Ahern

Daniel Haude <(E-Mail Removed)-hamburg.de> wrote:
> ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
> posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
> having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
> any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

I bought the K&R book a few years ago. I just recently bought a hardback
copy of the C99 standard + technical corrigendum 1. I'm quite happy, though
the page numbering is broken.

Those two books are all I could ever ask for and more as far as C
programming goes.

I also own two editions of Steven's, et al Advanced Network Programming.
Similar to my experience w/ K&R I think it might soon be worth my money to
find a hard copy of the Standard Unix Specifiation version 3 (the online
version is nice but you can't beat the ability to lay back and flip through
pages by hand).

Chris Barts

Neil Kurzman wrote:

> If the book answers your questions it is good.

Getting right answers is more important.

> The Schildt is a phenomena. I bought it years ago. before the net. It
> answer a lot of my questions. So I liked it.

You didn't know it was giving you wrong answers, which is why it's so
hard for an inexperienced person to buy a book worth owning: They don't
know enough to know when an author is full of ****.

> But if you look around you will find as many people like it as hate it. The
> haters note that it leans toward the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them,
> and my give the wrong answer.

No, it leans toward the incorrect, as opposed to the correct. It gives
the wrong answer to anyone who reads its pages.

Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

infobahn

Chris Barts wrote:

> Neil Kurzman wrote:
>
> > But if you look around you will find as many people like it as hate it. The
> > haters note that it leans toward the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them,
> > and my give the wrong answer.

> No, it leans toward the incorrect, as opposed to the correct. It gives
> the wrong answer to anyone who reads its pages.
>
> Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

Probably takes apart the wrong book. Possibly you meant:

http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c_tcr.html

Chris Barts

infobahn wrote:
> Chris Barts wrote:
>
>>Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
>>http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

> Probably takes apart the wrong book. Possibly you meant:
>
> http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c_tcr.html

Well, they're both bad books by Schildt on C. I didn't know about the
book you mention, but I think my point stands: Schildt should not write
books about C, and when he does nobody should buy them.