Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > DDD debugger problem

DDD debugger problem

Ioannis Hadjichambis

I am trying to debug my program using the DDD debugger. I have also
downloaded a manual for the debugger but I cannot RUN my
program in the debugger. I use the -g flag when compiling. I then write
to the command line
> ddd table2

Then the debugger pops up and i press Programs->Run where it asks for
arguments and because my program doesn't need any, I don't provide it
with any and so I check the blank line.

I always get the following:

Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
The program no longer exists.
You can't do that without a process to debug.
(gdb) set args
(gdb) run
warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes

Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
The program no longer exists.
You can't do that without a process to debug.
(gdb)

I don't understand why.

Do you have any suggestions?

jacob navia

Ioannis Hadjichambis wrote:
> I am trying to debug my program using the DDD debugger. I have also
> downloaded a manual for the debugger but I cannot RUN my
> program in the debugger. I use the -g flag when compiling. I then write
> to the command line
> > ddd table2

> Then the debugger pops up and i press Programs->Run where it asks for
> arguments and because my program doesn't need any, I don't provide it
> with any and so I check the blank line.
>
> I always get the following:
>
> Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
> The program no longer exists.
> You can't do that without a process to debug.
> (gdb) set args
> (gdb) run
> warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes
>
> Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
> The program no longer exists.
> You can't do that without a process to debug.
> (gdb)
>
> I don't understand why.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?

Your program is dying somehow.

Do not use any gdb extensions and use gdb itself.

gdb table2
run

If this works, it means that your installation of ddd is
screwed and you should re-install it.

If it doesn't, it means that your program is linking with some
wrong shared library and your program crashes before it
reaches the main() function.

Inspect your program to see which shared objects it uses
and then try figuring out which one is faulty.

jacob

Michael Mair

jacob navia wrote:
> Ioannis Hadjichambis wrote:
>
>> I am trying to debug my program using the DDD debugger. I have also
>> downloaded a manual for the debugger but I cannot RUN my
>> program in the debugger. I use the -g flag when compiling. I then
>> write to the command line
>> > ddd table2

>> Then the debugger pops up and i press Programs->Run where it asks for
>> arguments and because my program doesn't need any, I don't provide it
>> with any and so I check the blank line.
>>
>> I always get the following:
>>
>> Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
>> The program no longer exists.
>> You can't do that without a process to debug.
>> (gdb) set args
>> (gdb) run
>> warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes
>>
>> Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
>> The program no longer exists.
>> You can't do that without a process to debug.
>> (gdb)
>>
>> I don't understand why.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions?

> Your program is dying somehow.
>
> Do not use any gdb extensions and use gdb itself.
>
> gdb table2
> run
>
> If this works, it means that your installation of ddd is
> screwed and you should re-install it.
>
> If it doesn't, it means that your program is linking with some
> wrong shared library and your program crashes before it
> reaches the main() function.
>
> Inspect your program to see which shared objects it uses
> and then try figuring out which one is faulty.

As an addendum:
DDD and gdb are not topical here. For first aid with gdb,
you can ask in gnu.gcc.help (it is not quite topical there,
but eventually everything that does fit nowhere, goes there).
If it is a problem with DDD, have a look at the DDD web page;
probably there is some sort of forum or mailing list or some
other source of help.

Cheers
Michael

Debugger and DDD utab C++ 2 05-09-2006 01:55 PM
DDD sale? Festus Noodleman DVD Video 8 04-29-2006 04:17 PM
Looks like DDD finally phuked me.... Jim DVD Video 44 01-14-2005 08:00 PM
Is CC the same as DDD? JMKAUFFMAN DVD Video 3 11-13-2004 04:18 PM
Anyone having problems logging into DDD? Wild Coyote DVD Video 5 10-10-2004 11:33 PM

Advertisments