Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Exam prep for 70-305?

Exam prep for 70-305?

Tommy Watt

I just passed 70-306! I used a company bootcamp, MS Press books,
MeasureUps and Transcenders. I can say that MeasureUp's suck because
they didnt even come close to real exam and I failed 1st time. I used
Transcender 2nd time and passed exam but only barely. It was more
like real exam, but still very different.

What do people recommend for 70-305? Is Transcender still best or is
something else better?

Thanks,

Tom

NW

Tom,

I just passed 70-306 as well. I have been asking the
same question you are asking and here is what I have been
told:

There is book by Mike Gunderloy that has been
recommended. Title: MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-305):
Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Visual
Basic.NET and Visual Studio.NET.

I just bought it on amazon for $31.00. I haven't
received it yet, but it looks very promising.

I have read through the ASP.NET step by step and was not
impressed. It's a good book if you know nothing about
Web Apps, but I found it lacking in all areas.

Hope this helps. I am going to use this book (Mike
Gunderloy) and maybe transcender. I code web apps for a
living so hopefully I will be familar with most of the
topics.

NW

Kline Sphere

> I can say that MeasureUp's suck because
>they didnt even come close to real exam and I failed 1st time.

Oh no! What, you mean they did not give you the real answers to the
actual exam questions, maybe it's you that suck????

Tommy Watt

The thing is I already understand ASP.NET. All I'm asking is which is
the best exam prep software.

Thanks,

Tom

"NW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<021101c3c682$592f8340$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Tom,
>
> I just passed 70-306 as well. I have been asking the
> same question you are asking and here is what I have been
> told:
>
> There is book by Mike Gunderloy that has been
> recommended. Title: MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-305):
> Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Visual
> Basic.NET and Visual Studio.NET.
>
> I just bought it on amazon for $31.00. I haven't
> received it yet, but it looks very promising.
>
> I have read through the ASP.NET step by step and was not
> impressed. It's a good book if you know nothing about
> Web Apps, but I found it lacking in all areas.
>
> Hope this helps. I am going to use this book (Mike
> Gunderloy) and maybe transcender. I code web apps for a
> living so hopefully I will be familar with most of the
> topics.
>
> NW

Tommy Watt

WTF?

If you read my post you will see that I went through a bootcamp, and I
read MS Press books. The only thing I didn't say is yes I understood
them and can program in ASP.NET already.

The community and even Microsoft themselves recommends the use of
practice exams. I was only asking which were best. I do not wish to
cheat. And I do feel that I have learned ASP.NET sufficiently to
program for a company. But the problem is there is a lot more
information to memorize then really neccasary, and the practice exams
will assist you in knowing which information you need to know to pass
the exam.

Thanks,

Tom

Kline Sphere <.> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > I can say that MeasureUp's suck because
> >they didnt even come close to real exam and I failed 1st time.

> Oh no! What, you mean they did not give you the real answers to the
> actual exam questions, maybe it's you that suck????

Kline Sphere

But the exam format is sooooo simple. People 'buy' (or steal) this
'practice' exams because they seem to expect them to have the actual
answers.

When you stated "I can say that MeasureUp's suck because
they didnt even come close to real exam and I failed 1st time" what
did you actual mean then ? The practice exams did not have enough
option buttons for you to click!

On 20 Dec 2003 11:46:26 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tommy Watt)
wrote:

>WTF?
>
>If you read my post you will see that I went through a bootcamp, and I
>read MS Press books. The only thing I didn't say is yes I understood
>them and can program in ASP.NET already.
>
>The community and even Microsoft themselves recommends the use of
>practice exams. I was only asking which were best. I do not wish to
>cheat. And I do feel that I have learned ASP.NET sufficiently to
>program for a company. But the problem is there is a lot more
>information to memorize then really neccasary, and the practice exams
>will assist you in knowing which information you need to know to pass
>the exam.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom
>
>Kline Sphere <.> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> > I can say that MeasureUp's suck because
>> >they didnt even come close to real exam and I failed 1st time.

>> Oh no! What, you mean they did not give you the real answers to the
>> actual exam questions, maybe it's you that suck????

NW

Ok then...

Well if you passed 70-306, you already know the format.
So your real question must be which practice exam has the
most questions excatly the same as the real exam. I
can't answer that as I have not taken the exam. Also, if
you already know how to program ASP.NET, why do you need
practice exams??? The areas you are expected to know are
clearly covered on MS.com. Study those, now them, and
you will pass.

NW

¢harlie

Hi Tom,

I'll bet you are sorry that you asked the question here! 8^)

Some of these folks have an exremely parochial view of some matters
so you will only get a ration on grief from them. We all know that
just passing the exams does not mean much as far as job performance but
they do force us to focus on learning the material

In answer to you question from what I gather:

TestKing stuff has the answers that are the closest to the exams
Transenders are expensive and questions are more difficult than on test, not
worth the money
MeasureUp so don't help in preparation at all
Cert21 does not seem any good. Poor product and customer support.
ExamCram seems to be a possible middle ground that helps enough without
giving away the whole show

I haven't used any of these for my MCSD so far because I am still in
learning
mode. Once I feel that I know enough then perhaps I try one but if I did
that
now it would ruin my efforts to acquire the knowledge. I have three machines
setup
and am working my way through a book by Brian Slier and Jeff Spotts,
Special Edition Using Microsoft Visual Basic .NET by Que publishing while
reading
the online help and MSDN articles extensively.

I hope that this helps.

¢harlie

"NW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:057b01c3c798$5e0d9250$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok then...
>
> Well if you passed 70-306, you already know the format.
> So your real question must be which practice exam has the
> most questions excatly the same as the real exam. I
> can't answer that as I have not taken the exam. Also, if
> you already know how to program ASP.NET, why do you need
> practice exams??? The areas you are expected to know are
> clearly covered on MS.com. Study those, now them, and
> you will pass.
>
> NW

Kline Sphere

>TestKing stuff has the answers that are the closest to the exams
>Transenders are expensive and questions are more difficult than on test, not
>worth the money

So what you'll saying is buy testking, transcender or whatever and
you'll pass the exams? Ridiculous.

What this says to me is that the only microsoft certified people worth
anything are those who pass the beta exams, i.e. before testking,
transcender have time peddle their 'products'.

The problem I see is the format of the exams. Being able to answer a
question without understanding it, let alone being able to describe
and explain how you come to that answer, is mad. Hence why few
companies take any notice of microsoft certs.

This a great pity to many people take these certs who not only
genuinely understand microsoft tools and products, but are also good
software engineers.

Tommy Watt

Yeah pretty much. I don't feel I'm cheating or doing anything outside
of what is recommended to me. I just want to use the best test prep
software, that's all I'm asking. I know a lot of things ASP.NET but
the point of the exam software is not so much what the format will be
as I know that already. But, that it covers the material that you are
being tested on. No, it does not need to be the same questions and
answers. But the same material.

Thanks,

Tom