Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Programming Challenge

Programming Challenge

candy_init@yahoo.com

The aim is to make a program in C which can calculate the value of a
determinant of any specified order.The program should work in the
following way:
INPUT:
N: 5 (order of the determinant)
Enter the 25 elements

OUTPUT:
Value of the determinant.

Candice

dandelion

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The aim is to make a program in C which can calculate the value of a
> determinant of any specified order.The program should work in the
> following way:

For a "challenge" I would have picked something not as chewed out as
matrix-calculations. Are you sure you are not sneakily trying to
social-engineer your way out of your homework-assignments?

Grumble

> The aim is to make a program in C which can calculate the value of a
> determinant of any specified order.

Why don't you do your own homework?

Chris Croughton

On 4 Jan 2005 03:53:25 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The aim is to make a program in C which can calculate the value of a
> determinant of any specified order.The program should work in the
> following way:

I don't know what you mean by 'determinant' in this case (matrices?
biology?), but it looks to me like homework. If you have a question
about the C language itself, please post it preferably with code
illustrating your problem, but we are not here to do your homework free
for you. On the other hand, if you wish to pay me...

Chris C

petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com

Determinant of a matrix is the modulus of it ie. |M|.
if M = [a b
c d] then
|M| = bc - ad

(I think)

Chris Croughton

On 4 Jan 2005 05:41:15 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Determinant of a matrix is the modulus of it ie. |M|.
> if M = [a b
> c d] then
>|M| = bc - ad
>
> (I think)

Maybe (I remember modulus, I don't remember it being the same as the
determinant, but it's been almost 30 years since I looked at the
terminology of matrices). However, we're not here to write the code for
matrix problems, that's the original poster's problem...

Chris C

Mike Wahler

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The aim is to make a program in C which can calculate the value of a
> determinant of any specified order.The program should work in the
> following way:
> INPUT:
> N: 5 (order of the determinant)
> Enter the 25 elements
>
> OUTPUT:
> Value of the determinant.

Counter-challenge: TRY IT YOURSELF FIRST!

If you get stuck, post the code here, ask specific
questions, and you'll get plenty of help.

-Mike

Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Determinant of a matrix is the modulus of it ie. |M|.
> if M = [a b
> c d] then
> |M| = bc - ad

> (I think)

You got the sign wrong. And that's the formula for 2x2 matrices, things
get a bit more interesting for matrices of higher ranks. Bonus points
will be given for a program that deals reasonably with cases where the
determinante is near to zero but the matrix elements aren't

Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de