Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Whats the difference between the yahoo group and this google groups?

Reply
Thread Tools

Whats the difference between the yahoo group and this google groups?

 
 
smileplzz@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2004
r there any files which we can download from this group.
can we only ask questions in this group?
no files stored like it is there in yahoo groups.

i think it should be there in group services.

ur new group member
Ram
20/m/India


e-mail id:
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)

waiting for ur reply.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Keith Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2004
"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> r there any files which we can download from this group.
> can we only ask questions in this group?
> no files stored like it is there in yahoo groups.
>
> i think it should be there in group services.


Please spell out words: "are", not "r"; "your", not "ur".

This is neither a Yahoo group nor a Google group. It's a Usenet
newsgroup, which predates both Yahoo and Google by decades. (Google
happens to provide an interface to Usenet, which is pretty good for
searching retrieving old articles but lousy for posting.)

No, there are no files you can download. This is a discussion group.
There's no such thing as "group services", and there's nobody in
charge.

There's a periodically posted article with the subject "Welcome to
comp.lang.c!" which you may find useful. I advise lurking for a while
(reading the newsgroup without posting) to get the feel of it.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Amarendra Godbole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2004
Keith Thompson said:
> newsgroup, which predates both Yahoo and Google by decades. (Google
> happens to provide an interface to Usenet, which is pretty good for
> searching retrieving old articles but lousy for posting.)


The new groups-beta from google is pretty good for posting too.
Messages appear instantaneously, unlike the previous delay. Added to it
is a facility to subscribe and add watches to posts. It is
http://groups-beta.google.com/

Cheers,
Amar

 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Mair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2004


Amarendra Godbole wrote:
> Keith Thompson said:
>
>>newsgroup, which predates both Yahoo and Google by decades. (Google
>>happens to provide an interface to Usenet, which is pretty good for
>>searching retrieving old articles but lousy for posting.)

>
>
> The new groups-beta from google is pretty good for posting too.
> Messages appear instantaneously, unlike the previous delay. Added to it
> is a facility to subscribe and add watches to posts. It is
> http://groups-beta.google.com/


The "improvements" include gobbling of tabs and spaces in preformatted
code, so it is about useless for many technical groups.
The "instantaneously" is to be taken cum grano salis if we consider
the number of double posts from people using the new google interface.

The latter may be one of these unsurmountable "it should be no problem"
problems, but the former is plain nasty. It takes away from you the
means to post what you write. This even may lead to different semantics
for languages for which the form (i.e. indentation etc.) defines logical
blocks etc.


Cheers
Michael
--
E-Mail: Mine is a gmx dot de address.

 
Reply With Quote
 
smileplzz@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2004
did u(sorry you) answer me out of frustration or just the normal thing?
when i read it i thought u(sorry you) were irritated by this question
hence answered me like this.
By the way who created this usenet news group?
its good but needs development.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2004
(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> did u(sorry you) answer me out of frustration or just the normal thing?


Probably a little of both, frankly, but my advice was sincere.

Incidentally, I wasn't sure who you were responding to in your latest
message (I had to check the parent article); it's helpful to include
attributions.

> when i read it i thought u(sorry you) were irritated by this question
> hence answered me like this.
> By the way who created this usenet news group?
> its good but needs development.


I don't know who created it, but I think it's been around for over 20
years.

Did you have a question about C?

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick Austin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2004
On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>By the way who created this usenet news group?


Google has archives going back to November 1986. For example:

http://www.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en...f588df9880dafc

As you can see this joins mid-thread and Google does not
appear to have any archives from before this date.

Nick.

 
Reply With Quote
 
john_bode@my-deja.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2004

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> r there any files which we can download from this group.
> can we only ask questions in this group?
> no files stored like it is there in yahoo groups.
>


This is a discussion forum only, centered on the C programming language
(meaning discussion of the language itself, not any specific
implementation of the language); no downloads here.

> i think it should be there in group services.


There are no "group services". Usenet newsgroups don't really work
that way.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2004
On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, in comp.lang.c , (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>By the way who created this usenet news group?


This usenet group was created around the same time as the internet, back in
the early 80s. It was renamed from net.lang.c in the Great Renaming.

>its good but needs development.


Actually I suspect that comp.lang.c is pretty mature by its 20th
birthday...


--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2004
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:51:32 +0000, in comp.lang.c , Nick Austin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>By the way who created this usenet news group?

>
>Google has archives going back to November 1986.


net.lang.c, comp.lang.c's original name, dates from 21st November 1982 I
believe. At least, a google search turns up a couple of documents showing
net.lang.c as being added to the groups list on that date.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats the difference between xp pro sp1 and sp2 ??? sonic MCSE 3 12-08-2010 07:55 PM
whats the difference between point to point(HDLC and PPP) network and frame replay network? bfot123@gmail.com Wireless Networking 0 05-29-2007 10:53 PM
Whats the difference between Hash and Map ? exquisitus Java 1 05-04-2005 03:29 PM
Difference between bin and obj directories and difference between project references and dll references jakk ASP .Net 4 03-22-2005 09:23 PM
Whats the difference between IDataAdapter and IDbDataAdapter? Showjumper ASP .Net 2 01-20-2004 02:09 PM



Advertisments