Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition

SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition

Brunswick Lowe

Happy Holidays,

Does anyone have experience with the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2K? I
know I can't deploy it and that connections are limited, etc., but I have a
few other questions. I consulted microsoft.com, but it didn't answer my
questions.

1) Is Enterprise Manager fully featured? ie, can I set up and administer
accounts, stored procedures and triggers?

2) What about Query Analyzer? Same as enterprise for most intents and
purposes?

3) I've been developing against MySQL, MSDE and Access. I would like to take
70-229, but I need to get some experience with the interface. Will this
edition provide me with the ability to do that?

Waiting patiently for Kline's foot up my posterior, though I don't know why,

Brunswick

Kline Sphere

>1) Is Enterprise Manager fully featured? ie, can I set up and administer
>accounts, stored procedures and triggers?

Yes.

>2) What about Query Analyzer? Same as enterprise for most intents and
>purposes?

Yes.

>3) I've been developing against MySQL, MSDE and Access.

Never mind, he, he!

>I would like to take
>70-229, but I need to get some experience with the interface. Will this
>edition provide me with the ability to do that?

Absolutely. However, you do need to have some idea about federated
servers & distributed views; so in order put into these practice you
need more than one server (although you could used multiple
installations on the same box). The same goes for replication.

One other point, you certainly need to understand how to create and
maintain database objects using tsql, rather than using the enterprise
manager.

Watch out for the graphical query plan questions!

>Waiting patiently for Kline's foot up my posterior, though I don't know why,

Watch out I'm behind you now!
lol!

Tom Dacon

Microsoft's SQL Server site says that the developer edition is just the
enterprise edition with a different license. So it's otherwise completely
full-function. I'm running it and I can't tell any difference between it and
the enterprise edition I've run elsewhere.

Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

"Brunswick Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Happy Holidays,
>
> Does anyone have experience with the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2K? I
> know I can't deploy it and that connections are limited, etc., but I have

> few other questions. I consulted microsoft.com, but it didn't answer my
> questions.
>
> 1) Is Enterprise Manager fully featured? ie, can I set up and administer
> accounts, stored procedures and triggers?
>
> 2) What about Query Analyzer? Same as enterprise for most intents and
> purposes?
>
> 3) I've been developing against MySQL, MSDE and Access. I would like to

take
> 70-229, but I need to get some experience with the interface. Will this
> edition provide me with the ability to do that?
>
> Waiting patiently for Kline's foot up my posterior, though I don't know

why,

> Brunswick

Brunswick Lowe

Guys,

Thanks for the input. I must however apologize, for after reading Tom's
post, I realized I simply wasn't looking at the right part of microsoft.com.
He is right. They pretty much answer all of my questions when they say,
"enjoy all the features of enterprise edition."

Maybe I can blame it on the flu. Or maybe Kline will find something else for
me to blame it on. Or maybe that can just go unsaid.

Brunswick
"Tom Dacon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft's SQL Server site says that the developer edition is just the
> enterprise edition with a different license. So it's otherwise completely
> full-function. I'm running it and I can't tell any difference between it

and
> the enterprise edition I've run elsewhere.
>
> Tom Dacon
> Dacon Software Consulting
>
> "Brunswick Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Happy Holidays,
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2K?

> > know I can't deploy it and that connections are limited, etc., but I

have
> > few other questions. I consulted microsoft.com, but it didn't answer my
> > questions.
> >
> > 1) Is Enterprise Manager fully featured? ie, can I set up and administer
> > accounts, stored procedures and triggers?
> >
> > 2) What about Query Analyzer? Same as enterprise for most intents and
> > purposes?
> >
> > 3) I've been developing against MySQL, MSDE and Access. I would like to

> take
> > 70-229, but I need to get some experience with the interface. Will this
> > edition provide me with the ability to do that?
> >
> > Waiting patiently for Kline's foot up my posterior, though I don't know

> why,
> >
> > Brunswick

Kline Sphere

>Maybe I can blame it on the flu. Or maybe Kline will find something else for
>me to blame it on. Or maybe that can just go unsaid.

No you can't. If you're too stupid not to get a flu vaccination, then
I have no symphony for you! lol!

Get well soon!

Brunswick Lowe

Smart enough to vaccinate my son, but not soon enough. He got it 1.5 weeks
after the shot and I got it 1 week after he did.

Lesson learned. Recovery is surprisingly quick this time.

"Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Maybe I can blame it on the flu. Or maybe Kline will find something else

for
> >me to blame it on. Or maybe that can just go unsaid.

> No you can't. If you're too stupid not to get a flu vaccination, then
> I have no symphony for you! lol!
>
> Get well soon!

Kline Sphere

Had flu once, nearly died. Expect some here to say, shame I never!

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:19:56 -0600, "Brunswick Lowe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Smart enough to vaccinate my son, but not soon enough. He got it 1.5 weeks
>after the shot and I got it 1 week after he did.
>
>Lesson learned. Recovery is surprisingly quick this time.
>

>"Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> >Maybe I can blame it on the flu. Or maybe Kline will find something else

>for
>> >me to blame it on. Or maybe that can just go unsaid.

>> No you can't. If you're too stupid not to get a flu vaccination, then
>> I have no symphony for you! lol!
>>
>> Get well soon!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

"Brunswick Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Happy Holidays,
>
> Does anyone have experience with the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2K? I
> know I can't deploy it and that connections are limited, etc., but I have

> few other questions. I consulted microsoft.com, but it didn't answer my
> questions.
>
> 1) Is Enterprise Manager fully featured? ie, can I set up and administer
> accounts, stored procedures and triggers?

Yes. Same EM as the Enterprise version. NOTE that some advanced database
features will not install on a non-Server OS, but it should not affect
certs.

> 2) What about Query Analyzer? Same as enterprise for most intents and
> purposes?

Query Analyzer is used for writing queries against a database, which can be
admin or developer related. EM is used primarily for administration,
although you can use it for querying.

> 3) I've been developing against MySQL, MSDE and Access. I would like to

take
> 70-229, but I need to get some experience with the interface. Will this
> edition provide me with the ability to do that?

Yes and yes! IT is full featured. Installed on the right OS, it is
equivalent to SQL Server Enterprise.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Federated what? That's not what the dump site said. LOL

NOTE: This is tongue-in-cheek.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >1) Is Enterprise Manager fully featured? ie, can I set up and administer
> >accounts, stored procedures and triggers?

> Yes.
>
> >2) What about Query Analyzer? Same as enterprise for most intents and
> >purposes?

> Yes.
>
> >3) I've been developing against MySQL, MSDE and Access.

> Never mind, he, he!
>
> >I would like to take
> >70-229, but I need to get some experience with the interface. Will this
> >edition provide me with the ability to do that?

> Absolutely. However, you do need to have some idea about federated
> servers & distributed views; so in order put into these practice you
> need more than one server (although you could used multiple
> installations on the same box). The same goes for replication.
>
> One other point, you certainly need to understand how to create and
> maintain database objects using tsql, rather than using the enterprise
> manager.
>
> Watch out for the graphical query plan questions!
>
> >Waiting patiently for Kline's foot up my posterior, though I don't know

why,

> Watch out I'm behind you now!
> lol!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Got the vax, but it is the wrong strain. Achoo! ;->

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!