Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > reading a structure containing pointers using softice !!

reading a structure containing pointers using softice !!

bluekarthik@yahoo.com

hi,

In simple words 'How to view / Read the various elements
values in a structure at a particular point of my DRV ?'

The Story is ->>>>
i am using softice for tracking/hunting a bug .
I am able to locate and get the address of the structure from the
stack.

eg:-
Consider, lpvDevice located at 0x06CF:FB42.
But, neither CS/DS/SS/ES/FS/GS has 0x06cf value.

i did try many ways . Is there anything special in softice
for viewing the structure details ... ????

dl 0x06CF:FB42 - displays some values ??? But, am i right here ?
The structure has many elements and i am able
to c only few !!
actually dl will list only virtual/physical
memory - does this have the structure elements
values ???? clear me friends !!!

how to view/read the values from that address so that
i could get the values of the variables in the structure.

how to get the values of the strucure's elements using
softice ?

Do, plz respond,
karthik bala guru

Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de

> In simple words 'How to view / Read the various elements
> values in a structure at a particular point of my DRV ?'

> The Story is ->>>>
> i am using softice for tracking/hunting a bug .
> I am able to locate and get the address of the structure from the
> stack.

> eg:-
> Consider, lpvDevice located at 0x06CF:FB42.
> But, neither CS/DS/SS/ES/FS/GS has 0x06cf value.

> i did try many ways . Is there anything special in softice
> for viewing the structure details ... ????

Sorry, but I can't see anything related to the language C in your
question, which is the topic of this group. Having heard that
"SoftICE" is a program that gets used under Windows I would
strongly recommend that you ask that kind of questions in a
newsgroup where Windows issues get discussed. And since this
seems to be about the use of a specific program on that platform
you might get better results when you try to find a group
(or some other forum like a mailing list) where people discuss
the use of that program. And did you think about contacting the
technical support of the company that produces "SoftICE"?

Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de

bluekarthik@yahoo.com

The development is in 'C' language only
and i think(beleive) that the bug in my driver is due to that
structure's element only !!

actually i was using the 'reverse engineering term' as a point
to track my driver bug only in which i lost control(almost forgot)
in the course of my development .
(development deviation from that particular driver for quite long time)
Anyhow thanx for ur info.
karthik bala guru