Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Command line C compiler needed

Command line C compiler needed

happy

I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
latest and moden one ?

Rouben Rostamian

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
happy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
>latest and moden one ?

Have a look at:

http://gcc.gnu.org/

--
Rouben Rostamian

Roger Leigh

James Rafter

happy wrote:
> I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find

the
> latest and moden one ?

Not sure what you mean by a command line C compiler. Any C compiler,
I would hope, could be invoked from the command line. I use Visual
C++ 7.0 from the command line (driven from a make file) because it's
easier to move projects to other platforms that way.

I'm sure there's a C only (as opposed to C++) option. But others can
correct me if I'm wrong.

If you do a search in this forum there were suggestion on how to
download a slightly older VC compiler for free. Perhaps the thread
was in comp.lang.c++?

This is not an endorsement but just another path you may wish to
consider.

gel

Microsoft offers their Visual C++ 2003 compiler as a free download:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Richard Bos

Roger Leigh <${roger}@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid > wrote:

> "happy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
> > latest and moden one ?

> Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
> names (my system provides all of these).

Not likely. The OP assumed that everybody would know what system he has
(probably because he doesn't even consider the possibility of other
systems' existence), which means that it is highly likely that he is on
some kind of M$ Windows. M$ OSes don't come with C compilers. You need
to download one.
I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW. The interface is
not perfect (in particular, it has some quirks which make me think that
its programmers are more used to some other windowing manager), but
quite sufficient for my purposes, and GCC can be used from the command
line. It can be found at <http://www.bloodshed.net/>.

Richard

Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:24:02 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:

>Roger Leigh <${roger}@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid > wrote:
>
>> "happy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>> > I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
>> > latest and moden one ?

>> Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
>> names (my system provides all of these).

>I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW.

gcc can be downloaded very easily (IMHO) via the cygwin downloader, which
lets you pick the bits you want and minimise extras. At the least you'll
want make and other commandline tools from the *nix set, which cygwin gives
you.

--
Mark McIntyre

Richard Bos

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:24:02 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:
>
> >Roger Leigh <${roger}@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid > wrote:

> >> Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
> >> names (my system provides all of these).

> >I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW.

> gcc can be downloaded very easily (IMHO) via the cygwin downloader, which
> lets you pick the bits you want and minimise extras. At the least you'll
> want make and other commandline tools from the *nix set, which cygwin gives
> you.

Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.

Richard

Bart C

"Richard Bos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
> make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.

I downloaded dev-c++ on Richards recommendation and the gcc compiler worked
well first time. You can ignore the IDE that comes with it. Starting with
http://gcc.gnu.org is rather more involved.

It compiled some code that had thwarted 3 other free compilers.

Bart

Richard Bos

"Bart C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Richard Bos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
> > make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.

> I downloaded dev-c++ on Richards recommendation and the gcc compiler worked
> well first time.

Glad to hear it.

Richard