Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Question for Barb Bowman: Wifi Activesync & SP2

Re: Question for Barb Bowman: Wifi Activesync & SP2

Sooner Al

I forgot to mention that if you do need to open UDP Port137 then you should severely restrict access
to that port to PCs or PocketPCs on your local network by their specific IP address. That is done in
the firewall "Custom List" change scope settings for a particular program or service.

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> See if this page helps...There is a section that pertains to ActiveSync and the SP2 Windows
> Firewall...
>
> http://ogasawalrus.com/mobileviews/m...aqs/ActiveSync
>
> You also may need to open UDP Port 137 singly...or enable File & Print Sharing on the firewall,
> which also opens UDP Port 137.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "PBB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Barb,
>>
>> I have implemented the wireless activesync as you describe in your great
>> article 'Have I got connections'. I have upgraded XP to SP2 now and because
>> of the Firewall (I suppose), the PDA doesnt seem to get through now when
>> requesting an activesync over the air (I use a Netgear ap/router for my home
>> network). When I switch off the firewall, I can sync as before.
>> Do you have a tweak to make XP SP2 listen to and let the PDA request get
>> through the Firewall or should I just switch it on and off when I want to
>> sync?
>>
>> Many thanks.

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]

In addition to what Al posted, make sure you've downloaded and
installed the latest version of Active Sync (3.7.1)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ivesync37.mspx

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist