Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > To cert. or not to cert.

To cert. or not to cert.

Bob F.

For those of you with the MCSD - would you do it over
again if given the chance? Is it a worthwhile cert.?
Any and all responses welcome.
Thanks.

Kline Sphere

>would you do it over
>again if given the chance?

Sure, it's not difficult; after of it's not rocket science.

>Is it a worthwhile cert.?

Ha Ha!

Depends what you're meaning of 'worthwhile' is!

Jay Walters

Yeah - there is a certain amount of self-forfillment when
achieving anything.

But it's not a magical cert. It hasn't help me get a pay
raise. I'm happy where I'm working - so it hasn't help me
look for a job.

If anything, it's just a little hint to those around me,
that I do have a certain amount of base knowledge.. that
I really am familiar with .NET, C#, VB.NET and VS.. but
again, it doesn't prove that I'm any good at these
things..

It's the whole package... everything.

Experience, approach to solving problems, gather and
define requirements, manage the efforts of others, work
as a team member, and ability to deliver working
solutions on time and within budget.

These are the things that stand out, not a certificate.

Kline Sphere

>I'm happy where I'm working

This most important point - being happy.

>Experience, approach to solving problems, gather and
>define requirements, manage the efforts of others, work
>as a team member, and ability to deliver working
>solutions on time and within budget.

Ah music to my ears....

Jay Walters

Sometimes the truth feels good.

If this subject is trivial to you, then you should learn
more about the cert you want to take.

Beware if you are a beginner, it is not trivial,....if
you have been in SE for a while it may be trivial for you.

Mas Jabier

Bob,

It's not certification that makes you worthed, but the
idea is the experience and knowledge you have gained to
earn those certifications.

I have been 5 years in Software Development using various
tools : VB, C++, PHP,ASP etc. But only this year I went to
certifications, as I want to test myself adapting .NET
standards, which also standards in my company.

Rgds.

Jody Ananda
MCAD,MCSD.Net