Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > MS has botched the Wireless networking DCHP

MS has botched the Wireless networking DCHP

=?Utf-8?B?RC4gTW9vcmU=?=

I have been using a Linksys Wireless B PC card in my notebook for two years
with a Siemens Wireless B Router on my Broadband cable connection with no
issues. In addition, I have used the same Linksys PC card with my other
router, a Linksys Wireless B 4-port router/hub. About two weeks ago (before
SP2), a recent download broke this funcitonality, and I can no longer acquire
a DCHP address or make the wireless connection work. I can only get a
connection if I wire my notebook directly to the router (defeats the concept
of wireless).

Since then, I have validated that it does not work with my Belkin Wireless G
card with either the Siemens or Linksys routers. Does Microsoft not do
regression testing with anything other than their own products?

I hope their support reads this group, because I need a patch ASAP.

Bryan Martin

Follow the instructions below
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811259)

How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption
To resolve this issue, delete the corrupted registry keys, and then
reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol.
Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and
then click Delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock2

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes
the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two
keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys,
the next step does not work correctly.
Step 2: Install TCP/IP
Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
Click Install.
Click Protocol, and then click Add.
Click Have Disk.
Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and
then click OK.
Restart the computer.

Bryan Martin

"D. Moore" <D. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been using a Linksys Wireless B PC card in my notebook for two

years
> with a Siemens Wireless B Router on my Broadband cable connection with no
> issues. In addition, I have used the same Linksys PC card with my other
> router, a Linksys Wireless B 4-port router/hub. About two weeks ago

(before
> SP2), a recent download broke this funcitonality, and I can no longer

acquire
> a DCHP address or make the wireless connection work. I can only get a
> connection if I wire my notebook directly to the router (defeats the

concept
> of wireless).
>
> Since then, I have validated that it does not work with my Belkin Wireless

> card with either the Siemens or Linksys routers. Does Microsoft not do
> regression testing with anything other than their own products?
>
> I hope their support reads this group, because I need a patch ASAP.

Chuck

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 18:29:13 -0400, "Bryan Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Follow the instructions below
>(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811259)
>
>How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption
>To resolve this issue, delete the corrupted registry keys, and then
>reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol.
>Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
>Click Start, and then click Run.
>In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
>In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and
>then click Delete:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Winsock
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Winsock2
>
>When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
>Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes
>the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two
>keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys,
>the next step does not work correctly.
>Step 2: Install TCP/IP
>Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
>Click Install.
>Click Protocol, and then click Add.
>Click Have Disk.
>Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
>On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and
>then click OK.
>Restart the computer.
>

>Bryan Martin

Bryan,

Actually, the netsh command does both of those steps.
1) Start - Run - "cmd". Type "netsh winsock reset catalog" into the command
window.
2) Restart system.
3) Start - Run - "cmd". Type "netsh int ip reset c:\netsh.txt" into the
command window.
4) Restart system.

Be aware that, if you have any custom applications that inserted Winsock
entries, and you want to continue using those applications, you may have to re
install them.

Cheers,
Chuck

seting up DCHP client Tony Cisco 0 03-05-2007 06:42 AM
DCHP/IP Addresses =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0SldyaWdodA==?= Wireless Networking 6 12-11-2005 04:35 AM
Win98 - DCHP IP but no ping DHCP server Simon Woods Wireless Networking 3 03-27-2005 10:53 PM
Can't seem to boot from XP install CD (after botched Linux install) Cloud Burst Computer Support 3 05-22-2004 02:52 PM
Botched 2501 image upgrade virgilv Cisco 2 02-25-2004 01:36 AM

Advertisments