Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Need to talk to a telnet server and send a telnet break

Need to talk to a telnet server and send a telnet break

Jim Isaacson

Hi

I'm looking for some help or a sample of a socket call to talk to a telnet
server and send a telnet break from a C program. I've looked at the Stevens
book and tried examples of his daytime code but can't seem to get the text
from the server to display, much less send a telnet break.

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

Mark A. Odell

"Jim Isaacson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3YPid.18141$(E-Mail Removed). com:

> I'm looking for some help or a sample of a socket call to talk to a
> telnet server and send a telnet break from a C program. I've looked at
> the Stevens book and tried examples of his daytime code but can't seem
> to get the text from the server to display, much less send a telnet
> break.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Since ISO C does not include networking, we can't help you here. I am
sure, however, that there are newsgroups with 'tcpip' in their names. That
might be a better place to ask.

--
- Mark ->

SM Ryan

"Jim Isaacson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
# Hi
#
# I'm looking for some help or a sample of a socket call to talk to a telnet
# server and send a telnet break from a C program. I've looked at the Stevens
# book and tried examples of his daytime code but can't seem to get the text
# from the server to display, much less send a telnet break.

If your real interest is in talking to telnet and not learning socket programming
in C, then don't use C. You do a telnet client in just a few lines with Perl or
Tcl or Expect for easier and faster than doing it in C.

--
SM Ryan http://www.rawbw.com/~wyrmwif/
This is one wacky game show.

Jim Isaacson

I guess I should have stated I need to add this functionality to an existing
C program.

Thanks anyway, I check out the tcpip groups.
"SM Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jim Isaacson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> # Hi
> #
> # I'm looking for some help or a sample of a socket call to talk to a

telnet
> # server and send a telnet break from a C program. I've looked at the

Stevens
> # book and tried examples of his daytime code but can't seem to get the

text
> # from the server to display, much less send a telnet break.
>
> If your real interest is in talking to telnet and not learning socket

programming
> in C, then don't use C. You do a telnet client in just a few lines with

Perl or
> Tcl or Expect for easier and faster than doing it in C.
>
> --
> SM Ryan http://www.rawbw.com/~wyrmwif/
> This is one wacky game show.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Jim Isaacson <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke thus:

> I guess I should have stated I need to add this functionality to an existing
> C program.

> Thanks anyway, I check out the tcpip groups.

That's a good plan:

Default User

Jim Isaacson wrote:

> I guess I should have stated I need to add this functionality to an
> existing C program.

1. Please don't top-post. Your reply belongs following properly trimmed
quoted material.

2. There is no way to accomplish what you want in ISO standard C, the
topic of this newsgroup. It doesn't matter that you have a C program
you want to add to.

You need to find a newsgroup that deals with your particular platform.
You mention the Stevens book, so likely comp.unix.programmer is a good
choice.

Brian

Telnet - attempting to initiate a telnet session within an established telnet session Carcarius Ruby 0 12-06-2007 03:26 AM
VOIP-Buster nummbers free with Talk-Talk? PavaRodney UK VOIP 4 01-01-2007 12:37 PM
Change to Talk Talk Bob B Wireless Networking 2 08-24-2006 09:19 AM
Skype and Talk Talk Sacred UK VOIP 9 08-01-2006 08:57 PM
Unable to post to talk.origins - but talk.atheism ok Rolf Computer Support 2 04-09-2006 09:48 AM

Advertisments