Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Free C\C++ compiler

Free C\C++ compiler

Rookie

Hi,

I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
compilers for these languages that I can use.

Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.

(I am working on a Windows environment)

Mike Cox

Rookie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
> compilers for these languages that I can use.
>
> Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
>
> (I am working on a Windows environment)

Yes. Microsoft released their C++ compiler for free. GNU also has gcc and
g++.

David Lindauer

Mike Cox wrote:

> Rookie wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
> > compilers for these languages that I can use.
> >
> > Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
> >
> > (I am working on a Windows environment)

> Yes. Microsoft released their C++ compiler for free. GNU also has gcc and
> g++.

borland also release theirs for free.

David

Mike Wahler

"Rookie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ck7j0r$69t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
> compilers for these languages that I can use.
>
> Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
>
> (I am working on a Windows environment)

(see section 5)

-Mike

Gianni Mariani

Rookie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
> compilers for these languages that I can use.

Microsoft makes a version of the command line compiler available.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Microsoft also makes "SFU" - Services For Unix which contains the gcc
C++ compiler.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu...ds/default.asp

Cygwin - my favourite - even though it is temperamental at times.
http://www.cygwin.com/

MingW - minimalist gnu for windows.
http://www.mingw.org/

> Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
>
> (I am working on a Windows environment)

Eric

I have used Bloodshed in the past and have found it works great.
Currently I'm using .Net but it was very expensive, and doesn't really
have that much more than Bloodshed.

http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html

Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development
Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw
port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can
also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based
compiler.

Free Software (GPL)
For Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP

"Rookie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ck7j0r$69t$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
> compilers for these languages that I can use.
>
> Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
>
> (I am working on a Windows environment)

Christopher Benson-Manica

David Lindauer <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke thus:

> borland also release theirs for free.

They do; it is version 5.5.1. However, it is presumably extremely
difficult to invoke it as a conforming C compiler of any sort. OP
should check comp.lang.c++ for further C++-related details.

jbeck

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I have used Bloodshed in the past and have found it works great.
> Currently I'm using .Net but it was very expensive, and doesn't really
> have that much more than Bloodshed.
>
> http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html
>
> Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development
> Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw
> port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can
> also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based
> compiler.
>
> Free Software (GPL)
> For Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP

The following is just my opinion:

What he said...I am new to this, and learned C about a year ago on a command
line editor. I started using Bloodshed Dev-C++ this summer, and think it is
top notch. The guys who developed it did a great job! And it works the way
it is supposed to, and doesn't conflict with my system.

Michael Kurz

"Rookie" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:ck7j0r$69t$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
> compilers for these languages that I can use.
>
> Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
>
> (I am working on a Windows environment)

We are using the free version of VC7 on windows and GCC on linux. Althoug
GCC is available for windows as well (cygwin) I prefered VC7 on windows as
it will work well with the MS PalttformSDK, which is often necessary to use
when creating windows programs.

As build environment my favorites are gnu make and CVS (although I keep an
eye on subversion for the ability to move files and directories) together
with a perl as general purpose language instead of using shell scripts
directly. This combination works great for us on windows as well as on
linux.

Best Regards
Michael

T K See Tho