Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > What about 70-305?

Reply
Thread Tools

What about 70-305?

 
 
Moe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2003
OK, I've passed SQL Server, 70-300 and 70-306. Next up
is 70-305. My strategy (which worked for 306 but not
300) is to read through the MS Study Guide, trying
exercises and practice apps using the concepts presented
in the book. Where things are fuzzy - or the book
doesn't seem thorough (happens a lot) - I read MSDN
pages. When I feel that I can build good code using the
ideas the book talks about I move on to the next chapter.

Is this going to do it? In what areas is the MS Press
book weak? One thing I liked about the 70-306 book is
that the emphasis seemed about right. Things that the
book dealt with heavily (like ADO.NET) seemed to be
things that were covered thoroughly on the test. Things
that were covered lightly (like web services) only had
fairly basic questions on the test. The 70-300 book did
not reflect the test in this way at all. What can I
expect from the 70-305 book?

I don't expect all the details to be there - but I want
it to be a reflection of the exam.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2003
Maybe you could share your thoughts and suggestions about
70-300 with me? You say "The 70-300 book did
not reflect the test in this way at all."

You took the 70-300 exam first?
And you are currently working in the industry?
So, you probably did well on the case studies using your
experience and not the book, right?

I am trying to take 70-300 first. Without real-world
experience and limited knowledge of the .NET framework.

Recipe for disater, in you guise?

Thank you for your thoughts, suggestions.

Stacie

>-----Original Message-----
>OK, I've passed SQL Server, 70-300 and 70-306. Next up
>is 70-305. My strategy (which worked for 306 but not
>300) is to read through the MS Study Guide, trying
>exercises and practice apps using the concepts presented
>in the book. Where things are fuzzy - or the book
>doesn't seem thorough (happens a lot) - I read MSDN
>pages. When I feel that I can build good code using the
>ideas the book talks about I move on to the next chapter.
>
>Is this going to do it? In what areas is the MS Press
>book weak? One thing I liked about the 70-306 book is
>that the emphasis seemed about right. Things that the
>book dealt with heavily (like ADO.NET) seemed to be
>things that were covered thoroughly on the test. Things
>that were covered lightly (like web services) only had
>fairly basic questions on the test. The 70-300 book did
>not reflect the test in this way at all. What can I
>expect from the 70-305 book?
>
>I don't expect all the details to be there - but I want
>it to be a reflection of the exam.
>
>Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kashif Hafeez
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2003
"Moe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<016501c3b133$b15c23c0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> OK, I've passed SQL Server, 70-300 and 70-306. Next up
> is 70-305. My strategy (which worked for 306 but not
> 300) is to read through the MS Study Guide, trying
> exercises and practice apps using the concepts presented
> in the book. Where things are fuzzy - or the book
> doesn't seem thorough (happens a lot) - I read MSDN
> pages. When I feel that I can build good code using the
> ideas the book talks about I move on to the next chapter.
>
> Is this going to do it? In what areas is the MS Press
> book weak? One thing I liked about the 70-306 book is
> that the emphasis seemed about right. Things that the
> book dealt with heavily (like ADO.NET) seemed to be
> things that were covered thoroughly on the test. Things
> that were covered lightly (like web services) only had
> fairly basic questions on the test. The 70-300 book did
> not reflect the test in this way at all. What can I
> expect from the 70-305 book?
>
> I don't expect all the details to be there - but I want
> it to be a reflection of the exam.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.


I think its a tough one, and people should give up taking these exams.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kline Sphere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2003
>In what areas is the MS Press
>book weak?


All of them.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kline Sphere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2003
>I think its a tough one, and people should give up taking these exams.

Why? For Gods sake the exams of this type are easy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kline Sphere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2003
>I am trying to take 70-300 first. Without real-world
>experience and limited knowledge of the .NET framework.
>
>Recipe for disater, in you guise?


Not for you, you have a proven aptitude for learning and
understanding. As long as you have common sense and fair amount of
initiative, you'll go a long way (with or without Consultant!).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2003
You blew my cover!
Covert's outta the question........huh?
Warm-fuzzies!!!

Me

>-----Original Message-----
>>I am trying to take 70-300 first. Without real-world
>>experience and limited knowledge of the .NET framework.
>>
>>Recipe for disater, in you guise?

>
>Not for you, you have a proven aptitude for learning and
>understanding. As long as you have common sense and fair

amount of
>initiative, you'll go a long way (with or without

Consultant!).
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kline Sphere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2003
>You blew my cover!
>Covert's outta the question........huh?
>Warm-fuzzies!!!


Whatever you're on, can I have some!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2003
lol.
>Whatever you're on, can I have some!
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Moe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2003
I took 70-300 first because there was a period of time
that I did not have access to a PC - but had a lot of
time to do reading. Since the 70-300 test is the most
analytical in nature, I thought I could prepare for it by
reading the MS Press book and some MSDN articles, etc.

That didn't do it. But I will say that the Exam Cram
book for this test - along with MSDN articles - would
give you a good idea of what that test is all about. If
you really want to do 70-300 first - read Exam Cram.
Treat it like a review. For any topic that you don't
really understand, read MSDN articles on that topic until
you really get a handle on it.

As far as your situation: Trying to deal with 70-300
before the other tests may not be a "recipe for
disaster", but it might not be the best approach.

Which test to take first? The answer to that question
lies in another question: "Where are your strengths?"

What have you been doing? If your a web developer, you
should probably hit the Web Applications test, then Web
Services and go from there. If your orientation is
client-server, start with the Windows app test.

I did SQL Server first, cause that was what I had prior
experience with.

So, if your an "analyst", "designer", or "architect" -
then maybe 70-300 is your best bet to start. But, for
most people, I'm inclined to think that doing 70-300
might be the best plan.

Just one opinion, of course.


>-----Original Message-----
>Maybe you could share your thoughts and suggestions

about
>70-300 with me? You say "The 70-300 book did
>not reflect the test in this way at all."
>
>You took the 70-300 exam first?
>And you are currently working in the industry?
>So, you probably did well on the case studies using your
>experience and not the book, right?
>
>I am trying to take 70-300 first. Without real-world
>experience and limited knowledge of the .NET framework.
>
>Recipe for disater, in you guise?
>
>Thank you for your thoughts, suggestions.
>
>Stacie
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>OK, I've passed SQL Server, 70-300 and 70-306. Next up
>>is 70-305. My strategy (which worked for 306 but not
>>300) is to read through the MS Study Guide, trying
>>exercises and practice apps using the concepts

presented
>>in the book. Where things are fuzzy - or the book
>>doesn't seem thorough (happens a lot) - I read MSDN
>>pages. When I feel that I can build good code using

the
>>ideas the book talks about I move on to the next

chapter.
>>
>>Is this going to do it? In what areas is the MS Press
>>book weak? One thing I liked about the 70-306 book is
>>that the emphasis seemed about right. Things that the
>>book dealt with heavily (like ADO.NET) seemed to be
>>things that were covered thoroughly on the test.

Things
>>that were covered lightly (like web services) only had
>>fairly basic questions on the test. The 70-300 book

did
>>not reflect the test in this way at all. What can I
>>expect from the 70-305 book?
>>
>>I don't expect all the details to be there - but I want
>>it to be a reflection of the exam.
>>
>>Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
>>.
>>

>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments