Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: "Eight Queens" program

Re: "Eight Queens" program

SM Ryan

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Matt) wrote:
# I will be grateful if someone explians this part
#
# colfree[c] = FALSE;
# upfree[row+c] = FALSE;
# downfree[row-c+7] = FALSE;
#
# of the code below. I don't understand how this marks the downward and
# upward diagonals. How does downfree[row-c+7] mark the diagonal?

I think this is from Wirth's article on structured programming. If you
look up the article, it explains Wirth's philosophy and includes the
derivation of an eight queens program to illustrate the principles.

--
SM Ryan http://www.rawbw.com/~wyrmwif/
The little stoner's got a point.