Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > OS/2 C60 programs converted into MS windows programs?Information on OS/2 C60?

OS/2 C60 programs converted into MS windows programs?Information on OS/2 C60?

Coca

Hello, all
I am working on a project that needs to
convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I
found it difficult to find useful information.
Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites?

1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows
programs?

2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web
sites...?

3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2
and in MS windows?

Any tips are appreciated.

Coca

Richard Tobin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Coca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am working on a project that needs to
>convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs.

I know this C standardization stuff has been going on for a while, but
I didn't realise it was *that* old!

-- Richard

Aidan Grey

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:18:20 +0800, Coca wrote:

>Hello, all
>I am working on a project that needs to
>convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I
>found it difficult to find useful information.
>Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites?
>
>1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows
>programs?
>
>2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web
>sites...?
>
>3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2
>and in MS windows?
>
>Any tips are appreciated.
>
>Coca

What do you mean by C60? Do you refer to programs written using
Microsoft C version 6.0?

Aidan Grey

Lorne Sunley

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:18:20 UTC, Coca <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hello, all
> I am working on a project that needs to
> convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I
> found it difficult to find useful information.
> Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites?
>
> 1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows
> programs?
>
> 2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web
> sites...?
>
> 3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2
> and in MS windows?
>
> Any tips are appreciated.
>
> Coca

The MS C 6.0 compiler and the OS/2 C 6.0 compiler were both done by
Microsoft. Perhaps there are switches for the current MS C compiler to
work with the v6.0 code.

Conversion of the system API calls will be most of the work. For that
you will need the documentation for the 16 bit (probably) OS/2 API. I
believe some of it can be found at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu

--
Lorne Sunley

Nitro

Hi,
Similar questions as stated before me. Is this a command line program or a
GUI, (or a driver)?

If memory serves the MS C6.0 and the IBM C/2 V1.1 were mostly the same. For
OS2 you needed the OS2 toolkit for GUI development and some other function
headers etc. Most variable types were the same except those in the system
API header files but this is more target OS than compilier related. I do
remember the int type changed but I think that was in the Visualage C++
compilier later (OS2 V2+.) You may find a copy of the compilier (with the
docs) on eBay. (I still have the old IBM C/2 compilier loaded)

If it is a COMMAND LINE 16 bit program it may run unchanged (binary exec
compatable) in a windows (NT+) command shell.
If you still need to compile it for windows I think you can just change the
library includes at link time (ie: llibce vs ?)
This depends on what libraries you installed with the compilier and if you
chose a default library or not.
(The C6.0 compilier was a DOS/OS2 cross compilier)

If it is a GUI you will have a bit more work. On a simple GUI with a few
buttons you may be able to copy the needed parts from the
resource file (this is a text file .RC or .RES) and feed them into the new
MSC compiler (Visual C++ 5/6? not sure of the newer versions.)
For a more complex GUI (system timers, named pipes, threads, graphics coord
X,Y direction, other API changes, etc) you will have a bit more work. Some
functions are implemented differently and some not at all.

If it is a DRIVER you should be able to reuse most of the base hardware code
but a bit more work to match I/O API etc.

Regards
Bart

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:18:20 +0800, Coca wrote:

>Hello, all
>I am working on a project that needs to
>convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I
>found it difficult to find useful information.
>Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites?
>
>1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows
>programs?
>
>2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web
>sites...?
>
>3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2
>and in MS windows?
>
>Any tips are appreciated.
>
>Coca

Coca

Yes, it means Microsoft C version 6.0

> What do you mean by C60? Do you refer to programs written using
>Microsoft C version 6.0?
>

>Aidan Grey

Coca

Thank you,Nitro,Lorne Sunley.
It's really helpful to me

--

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 03:26:20 GMT ʱ, "Nitro"
<nitro-57@no_spam_please_usa.net> д:

>Hi,
> Similar questions as stated before me. Is this a command line program or a
>GUI, (or a driver)?
>
>If memory serves the MS C6.0 and the IBM C/2 V1.1 were mostly the same. For
>OS2 you needed the OS2 toolkit for GUI development and some other function
>headers etc. Most variable types were the same except those in the system
>API header files but this is more target OS than compilier related. I do
>remember the int type changed but I think that was in the Visualage C++
>compilier later (OS2 V2+.) You may find a copy of the compilier (with the
>docs) on eBay. (I still have the old IBM C/2 compilier loaded)
>

>If it is a COMMAND LINE 16 bit program it may run unchanged (binary exec
>compatable) in a windows (NT+) command shell.
>If you still need to compile it for windows I think you can just change the
>library includes at link time (ie: llibce vs ?)
>This depends on what libraries you installed with the compilier and if you
>chose a default library or not.
>(The C6.0 compilier was a DOS/OS2 cross compilier)
>
>If it is a GUI you will have a bit more work. On a simple GUI with a few
>buttons you may be able to copy the needed parts from the
>resource file (this is a text file .RC or .RES) and feed them into the new
>MSC compiler (Visual C++ 5/6? not sure of the newer versions.)
>For a more complex GUI (system timers, named pipes, threads, graphics coord
>X,Y direction, other API changes, etc) you will have a bit more work. Some
>functions are implemented differently and some not at all.
>
>If it is a DRIVER you should be able to reuse most of the base hardware code
>but a bit more work to match I/O API etc.
>

>Regards
> Bart
>

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:18:20 +0800, Coca wrote:
>

>>Hello, all
>>I am working on a project that needs to
>>convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I
>>found it difficult to find useful information.
>>Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites?
>>
>>1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows
>>programs?
>>
>>2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web
>>sites...?
>>
>>3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2
>>and in MS windows?
>>
>>Any tips are appreciated.
>>
>>Coca

Aidan Grey

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:04:14 +0800, Coca wrote:

>--
>

>Yes, it means Microsoft C version 6.0
>>

>> What do you mean by C60? Do you refer to programs written using
>>Microsoft C version 6.0?
>>

>>Aidan Grey

For a C compiler that works under both OS/2 and Windows, check out
the Open Watcom compiler at www.openwatcom.org.

It may assist you in porting your program to Windows.

Aidan Grey