Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Any Thoughts?

Any Thoughts?

The questions is, my logic says it is easier to
concentrate on learning the VB.NET language in windows
dorms without incorporating the HTML knowledge necessary
to learn with the Web form. Is that a reasonable logic or
does anyone else have a different theory such as one is in
demand more than the other.

Also, is anyone using Visual Studio to learn either or
both?

True, there are more architectural layers and moving parts involved in a Web
Form application than a Windows Form application.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:023901c3aedd$e5b3d800$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The questions is, my logic says it is easier to
> concentrate on learning the VB.NET language in windows
> dorms without incorporating the HTML knowledge necessary
> to learn with the Web form. Is that a reasonable logic or
> does anyone else have a different theory such as one is in
> demand more than the other.
>
> Also, is anyone using Visual Studio to learn either or
> both?

Leigh Kendall

How true... More work and less functionality!

<WKidd> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> True, there are more architectural layers and moving parts involved in a

Web
> Form application than a Windows Form application.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:023901c3aedd$e5b3d800$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The questions is, my logic says it is easier to
> > concentrate on learning the VB.NET language in windows
> > dorms without incorporating the HTML knowledge necessary
> > to learn with the Web form. Is that a reasonable logic or
> > does anyone else have a different theory such as one is in
> > demand more than the other.
> >
> > Also, is anyone using Visual Studio to learn either or
> > both?

Jay Walters

Yes - But.... I think Win Forms require a higher level of
understanding.

(Although possible) - in a disconnected Web Page, you
tend not to worry about threading or sharing data across
forms... (except as cached objects)

Web Programming still tends to feel a bit procedural and
single threaded.

However in Win Forms, it's very common create and raise
custom events, perform work asynchronously, access Win32
libs, and share data across various objects in more of an
OOP fashion...

Anyone agree or disagree?

Leigh Kendall

Like I said, Web Apps give you less functionality for the most part.

You can do MUCH more in a Windows Forms app.

"Jay Walters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:034401c3b088$4ab20f50$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes - But.... I think Win Forms require a higher level of
> understanding.
>
> (Although possible) - in a disconnected Web Page, you
> tend not to worry about threading or sharing data across
> forms... (except as cached objects)
>
> Web Programming still tends to feel a bit procedural and
> single threaded.
>
> However in Win Forms, it's very common create and raise
> custom events, perform work asynchronously, access Win32
> libs, and share data across various objects in more of an
> OOP fashion...
>
> Anyone agree or disagree?

Kline Sphere

>Like I said, Web Apps give you less functionality for the most part.
>
>You can do MUCH more in a Windows Forms app.

... and should (and are) be treated as completely separate development
approaches, and used in an appropriate manner.

GS

Jay I disagree with that. From a "learning .NET
framework" point of view, ASP.NET throws in a whole whack
of presentational topics which add to the courseload.

With web forms you need to learn about the various
webcontrols and how they work, how to lay them out, how
to use templates with them, postback/caching/session
state, culture information issues. There's more "plumbing
work" involved in setting that up.

Then consider the fact that the web app can be visited by
a (theoretically) unlimited number of visitors with
various browser types, versions, operating systems,
screen sizes, number of colors, languages which are all
completely beyond your control and subject to change.

There's actually quite a bit you need to know about the
presentational aspects of ASP.NET before you can start
working on the actual functionality of the application
and get into the nitty gritty of the framework.

Kline Sphere

>screen sizes, number of colors, languages which are all
>completely beyond your control and subject to change.

This more or less applies to both types of applications.

Kline Sphere

>There's actually quite a bit you need to know about the
>presentational aspects of ASP.NET before you can start
>working on the actual functionality of the application
>and get into the nitty gritty of the framework.

This is very true. Although the vs environment attempts to do some of
the mundane tasks for you, it will still be laborious and time
consuming.