Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > My Wit's End with Wireless (Gateway M1300 Tablet PC and Linksys WRT54G)

My Wit's End with Wireless (Gateway M1300 Tablet PC and Linksys WRT54G)

David Lipetz

Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.

Neither helps.

In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.

So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
some combination of all of the above.

I truly believe it is software related...

Struggling for the truth.

"Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page
> to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the Windows
> XP built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control
> Panel/Administrative Tools/Services?
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Continued: Is it possible that the other wireless networks are somehow
>> interfering with mine? Can I set my Tablet to ONLY connect with my
>> wireless network? (It is currently the only one listed in Preferred
>> Networks).
>>

>> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless
>>> connection between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a
>>> Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
>>>
>>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>>
>>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
>>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
>>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
>>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors.
>>> Generally, I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will
>>> reconnect to mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then
>>> reconnects to it).
>>>
>>> This is so aggravating.
>>>
>>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
>>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
>>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
>>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
>>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>>>
>>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
>>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
>>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
>>> Driver is now listed as:
>>>
>>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>>
>>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>>
>>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
>>> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
>>> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
>>> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>>
>>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> David

David Lipetz

Tried, and continuing to try, various channels.

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6CG_c.435$(E-Mail Removed)...
> how about trying another channel where you cannot find other networks.
> interference between everyone seem s a prime suspect here.
> mike
>
> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page

>> "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the Windows
>> XP
>> built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control

> Panel/Administrative
>> Tools/Services?
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Continued: Is it possible that the other wireless networks are somehow
>> > interfering with mine? Can I set my Tablet to ONLY connect with my
>> > wireless network? (It is currently the only one listed in Preferred
>> > Networks).
>> >

>> > "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> connection

> Generally,

> which

> it

> inconsistently.

> should

> ---

David Lipetz

SSID is being broadcast

"Quaoar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I should also point out that I am using 64-bit WEP security...
>>

>> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless
>>> connection between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a
>>> Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
>>>
>>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>>
>>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
>>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
>>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
>>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors.
>>> Generally, I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will
>>> reconnect to mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then
>>> reconnects to it).
>>>
>>> This is so aggravating.
>>>
>>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
>>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
>>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
>>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
>>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>>>
>>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
>>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
>>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
>>> Driver is now listed as:
>>>
>>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>>
>>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>>
>>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
>>> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
>>> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
>>> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>>
>>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> David
>>>

> Broadcast SSID if not already.

David Lipetz

But this occurs with just one computer (the Table PC) on the network.

"D.Currie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
>> between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys
>> WRT54G wireless router.
>>
>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>
>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally,
>> I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to
>> mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
>>
>> This is so aggravating.
>>
>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>>
>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
>> Driver is now listed as:
>>
>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>
>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>
>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
>> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
>> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
>> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>
>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David
>>

> I had that problem and it finally narrowed down to that when one
> particular computer was on and accessing the network, everything else
> wireless would get erratic, to the point where I'd have to re-set the
> router. Got rid of that particular wireless card and everything's fine
> again.

David Lipetz

Please provide specific settings for RTS and Fragmentation.

Thanks.

"JDThree [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>
>>Thanks,
>>David
>>

> On top of the other advice, here's a few you can try. I had similar
> problems
> with a Linksys A/B unit. They had me try the following - may or may not
> have
> these options present on your model:
>
> Lower RTS threshold
> Lower Fragmentation length
> disable turbo mode
> try different preamble type (if it's at long, try short, and vice versa)
>
> I eventually got mine to work better with the first two options. It never
> was
> flawless though... I had better luck with my Dlink when I got my new
> tablet
> that had 802.11G rather than the A/B my old one had. But that dlink has
> problems with the wan link, so I'm still dealing with resetting it all the

Chris H.

Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are in
Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being bridged.
Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver from here:
http://www.motioncomputing.com/suppo...nload_1300.asp
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.
>
> Neither helps.
>
> In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
> 802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.
>
> So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
> some combination of all of the above.
>
> I truly believe it is software related...
>
> Struggling for the truth.
>
> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page
>> to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the
>> Windows XP built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control
>> Panel/Administrative Tools/Services?
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert

David Lipetz

No bridges.

If you read the release notes from those Motion Computing Intel PROset 7.1.3
drivers, you will see that the Intel 2100 3B mini-pc card, which the M1300
uses, is NOT supported.

I have installed the drivers from Gateway.com and specifically listed them
in a prior post in this thread.

"Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are in
> Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being bridged.
> Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver from here:
> http://www.motioncomputing.com/suppo...nload_1300.asp
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.
>>
>> Neither helps.
>>
>> In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
>> 802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.
>>
>> So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
>> some combination of all of the above.
>>
>> I truly believe it is software related...
>>
>> Struggling for the truth.
>>
>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks
>>> page to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the
>>> Windows XP built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control
>>> Panel/Administrative Tools/Services?
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Chris H.

Where did you read that? I've been running them since May, 2004, David, and
the "not supported" list doesn't mention the 2100 3B card at all. It does
mention the 2011 series and a couple 5000 series adapter.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No bridges.
>
> If you read the release notes from those Motion Computing Intel PROset
> 7.1.3 drivers, you will see that the Intel 2100 3B mini-pc card, which the
> M1300 uses, is NOT supported.
>
> I have installed the drivers from Gateway.com and specifically listed them
> in a prior post in this thread.
>

> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are in
>> Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being bridged.
>> Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver from here:
>> http://www.motioncomputing.com/suppo...nload_1300.asp
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.
>>>
>>> Neither helps.
>>>
>>> In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
>>> 802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.
>>>
>>> So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
>>> some combination of all of the above.
>>>
>>> I truly believe it is software related...
>>>
>>> Struggling for the truth.
>>>
>>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David Lipetz

In the release notes file wireless.txt located in PROW7100/docs. Note that
the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter is NOT supported.

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapters Release Notes

June 14, 2004

Contents
========

- Products not covered in this document
- Viewing user documentation
- Correction to Transmission Power settings in on-line Help
- Upgrading drivers and utilities from previous versions
- Required service pack for Windows* 2000
- Required service pack for Windows XP
- Known limitations
- Customer support

The following adapters are not supported with this release:
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN PCI Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN PC Card
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN PC Card
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN PCI Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN USB Device
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN CardBus Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN PCI Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wirelsss 2200BG Network Connection

"Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where did you read that? I've been running them since May, 2004, David,
> and the "not supported" list doesn't mention the 2100 3B card at all. It
> does mention the 2011 series and a couple 5000 series adapter.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No bridges.
>>
>> If you read the release notes from those Motion Computing Intel PROset
>> 7.1.3 drivers, you will see that the Intel 2100 3B mini-pc card, which
>> the M1300 uses, is NOT supported.
>>
>> I have installed the drivers from Gateway.com and specifically listed
>> them in a prior post in this thread.
>>

>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are
>>> in Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being
>>> bridged. Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver
>>> from here:
>>> http://www.motioncomputing.com/suppo...nload_1300.asp
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris H.

That is a different driver, David. Look for the file dated 5-21. It is the
one which supports your adapter.