Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Any function to change windows start menu shortcut properties ?

Any function to change windows start menu shortcut properties ?

Ganesh

I have to change the tartget property of a windows start->Program->X's
shortcut properties using c program. Do we have any function for that ?
please reply me ASAP.. as it is urgent !

Richard Bos

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ganesh) wrote:

> I have to change the tartget property of a windows start->Program->X's
> shortcut properties using c program. Do we have any function for that ?

Not, AFAIK, using ISO C, unless you want to fopen() the shortcut file,
fread() its contents, and fwrite() the new contents. Even then, you need
to know both the structure of a shortcut file (which should be known
somewhere; perhaps on <http://www.wotsit.org>?), and the location of the
shortcut file; there are no directory browsing functions in ISO C.
There is, in any case, no function to do all this for you using a single
call. There may be one in the M$-Windows API, but for those, you need to
ask in a microsoft.something group; comp.lang.c is about ISO C only.

> please reply me ASAP.. as it is urgent !

Tsk... learn not to rely on Usenet in emergencies. Sooner or later, it
will bite you.

Richard

Ganesh

(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Ganesh) wrote:
>
> > I have to change the tartget property of a windows start->Program->X's
> > shortcut properties using c program. Do we have any function for that ?

> Not, AFAIK, using ISO C, unless you want to fopen() the shortcut file,
> fread() its contents, and fwrite() the new contents. Even then, you need
> to know both the structure of a shortcut file (which should be known
> somewhere; perhaps on <http://www.wotsit.org>?), and the location of the
> shortcut file; there are no directory browsing functions in ISO C.
> There is, in any case, no function to do all this for you using a single
> call. There may be one in the M$-Windows API, but for those, you need to
> ask in a microsoft.something group; comp.lang.c is about ISO C only.
>
> > please reply me ASAP.. as it is urgent !

> Tsk... learn not to rely on Usenet in emergencies. Sooner or later, it
> will bite you.
>
> Richard

Hi Richard,
Thank you for the reply... i will try with the file operation. and i
got the file format from wotsit.. i will try with tht. i thought
urgent in google will take 2 days. bt seems this group is very much
active.. thanks for your time

rgds,
Ganesh R