Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Can't connect to SQL redux

Can't connect to SQL redux

Jay

I'm at a standstill in my studies! This post contains
references to several answers posted heretofor... it has
been several days since my first post...please scan the
entire post and give what aid you can.

I haven't seen anything resembling a "Query Analyzer"
which makes me lean toward the theory that I have
installed only the client components of SQL.

I installed SQL2KSP3.exe. Is that version restricted to
client components? I'm running on Win2000 with IIS
services and no external server - so I guess you'd say
that my computer is both server and client. I will look
for the Developer edition of SQL server(2000) - is it a
free download (foolish grin, we are talking MS)? Does it
matter where on the hard drive one installs the server....
That is, should it be installed in the InetPub directory
or can I take the default location? Yes - the server I
installed does seem to be running; it appears in the icon
tray bottom right and I can turn it on and off.

The MCAD/MCSD Training guide states that the SQL
administrator (me) must create an account for ASPNET,
which I have tried to do - but I suspect that I do not
indeed have the server components installed, because the
interface seems rather rudimentary. I fear I have no
experience with SQL server setup and don't know what to
expect.