Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Please introduce a good book

Please introduce a good book

tu-

It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
reference books.

Ben Pfaff

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-nct.ac.jp (tu-) writes:

> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
> reference books.

The best reference book is the C standard. You can get it for
$18 from webstore.ansi.org.
--
int main(void){char p[]="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuv wxyz.\
);}return 0;}

jacob navia

"tu-" <(E-Mail Removed)-nct.ac.jp> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any

good
> reference books.

I have written a tutorial intoruction available at no cost from

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

It comes with a compiler and development system so that you can
start programming in C fairly quickly.

jacob

Dan Pop

In <ccg91a$d7$(E-Mail Removed)> "jacob navia" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>"tu-" <(E-Mail Removed)-nct.ac.jp> a écrit dans le message de
>news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any

>good
>> reference books.

>I have written a tutorial intoruction available at no cost from
>
>http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

Does it come with a free Windows and MS Office licence? What part
of the OP's message says that he's a Windows/MS Office user?

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Ben Pfaff <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>(E-Mail Removed)-nct.ac.jp (tu-) writes:
>
>> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
>> reference books.

>The best reference book is the C standard. You can get it for
>$18 from webstore.ansi.org.

It's not exactly the best reference book for someone wanting to study
the C language. If you don't already know C, you're not going to make
much sense out of the C standard.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Richard Bos

(E-Mail Removed)-nct.ac.jp (tu-) wrote:

> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
> reference books.

The best (although not easiest) reference is the Standard, to be had
from ISO or your national standards bureau. A cheap (because free)
alternative, which is probably good enough for students, is the last
public draft of the Standard, which can be downloaded at
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/>. It is not
exactly the same as the final Standard, but the differences are small
enough that it will do for studying.
Finally, the best learning book is K&R 2, hands down.
The C Programming Language
Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie
ISBN: 0131103628

Richard

Richard Bos

"jacob navia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "tu-" <(E-Mail Removed)-nct.ac.jp> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any
> > good reference books.

> I have written a tutorial intoruction available at no cost from
>
> http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

I've seen worse, but perhaps that's the nasty thing about it. It is not
a C introduction, it is an lcc introduction. _Most_ of the early
material is about C. But in 1.22, for example, it introduces findfirst()
and findnext() without the slightest hint that these are not C, but M$VC
functions which lcc has adopted.
It could be a much more reliable and useful resource if it indicated
exactly where discussion of C ends and discussion of system-specific
features started. As it is, I could only recommend this to someone who
wants to be locked into lcc, and never use another compiler.

Richard

celsius

(E-Mail Removed)-nct.ac.jp (tu-) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
> reference books.

Well to get information about top rated C books published between 1990 and 2000
go to the site http://accu.org

osmium

celsius writes:

> > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any

good
> > reference books.

> Well to get information about top rated C books published between 1990

and 2000
> go to the site http://accu.org

That is simply not true! The site is primarily the opinion of one man,
Francis Glassborow, on the suitability of some books. He has some very
strong, biases on what is and what is not important in a book. To him
standards are the be all and end all of programming. An author who does not
share this fetish will be severely down graded. If you wear a green
eyeshade or like to count beans, these reviews are for you.

The reviews are much too short to be meaningful and even if they were
longer, they are written using the argot of the professional programmer.
This stuff is not readable and meaningful to a neophyte. He is left with a
simplistic "recommended" or "not recommended" (perhaps implicit) that is,
IMNSHO quite often dead wrong.

Shanmuhanathan T

on 7/7/2004 9:49 AM tu- Wrote:
> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
> reference books.

IMHO,
The reference book for C would be:
The C Programming Language
Second Edition
by Brian W. Kernighan,Dennis M. Ritchie
published by Pearson Education

If you are a learner, then you might want to try
a few introductory books like:
Schaum's Outline of Programming with C
by Byron S. Gottfried
published by: McGraw-Hill