Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > good tutorial/book on c?

good tutorial/book on c?

D. Layman

Hello group,
After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C and
3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the net.
I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.

I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or suggestions on
learning C.
Thanks in advance!

D. Layman

Mike Wahler

"D. Layman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello group,
> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C

and
> 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the

net.
> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or

suggestions on
> learning C.
> Thanks in advance!

(See section 1

Also see the book reviews at www.accu.org

-Mike

osmium

D. Layman writes:

> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C

and
> 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the

net.
> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or

suggestions on
> learning C.

For an experienced programmer such as you, there is one hands down best
book, it is _The C Programming Language_, second edition by Kernighan and
Ritchie. It is the best widely published bit of technical writing I have
ever seen.

It should not be on the net, but even if it is, IMO that is a hell of a poor
way to save $40 or so, anyway.

Ding Lei

"osmium" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> D. Layman writes:
>
>> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
>> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C

> and
>> 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
>> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the

> net.
>> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or

> suggestions on
>> learning C.

> For an experienced programmer such as you, there is one hands down best
> book, it is _The C Programming Language_, second edition by Kernighan and
> Ritchie. It is the best widely published bit of technical writing I have
> ever seen.

Oh really? I'v actually got that book at hand, just doesn't ever think it as
as a candidate book. I thought it's really somewhat out of date(198.

> It should not be on the net, but even if it is, IMO that is a hell of a poor
> way to save $40 or so, anyway.

Yeah! I totally agree.

--
Yours,

<<<::::: D i n g L e i ::::::>>
|| ||
|| Ext: 8106 ||
|| Email: <dinglei [A] ipanel [O] cn> ||
|| Dept. Of Technology/Engineering ||
|| Embedded Internet Solutions Inc. ||
|| ||
<(((((( ===================== )))))>>>

Jesse Woo

D. Layman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hello group,
> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C and
> 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the net.
> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or suggestions on
> learning C.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> D. Layman

I would like to recommend www.itres.org.
It have some books on C/C++ and many other books, you can read them
online as well as download for free.

Ding Lei

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jesse Woo) writes:

> D. Layman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Hello group,
>> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
>> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C
>> and 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
>> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the
>> net.
>> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or
>> suggestions on learning C. Thanks in advance!
>>
>> D. Layman

> I would like to recommend www.itres.org. It have some books on C/C++ and
> many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!
Thank you Jesse!

Ding Lei

Richard Bos

Ding Lei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Jesse Woo) writes:
>
> > I would like to recommend www.[censored].org. It have some books on C/C++ and
> > many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

> The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.

Richard

Jesse Woo

(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Ding Lei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Jesse Woo) writes:
> >
> > > I would like to recommend www.[censored].org. It have some books on C/C++ and
> > > many other books, you can read them online as well as download for free.

> > The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

> Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
> No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.
>
> Richard

lol, thief?
actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
thief either.

Mike Wahler

"Jesse Woo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Ding Lei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

C/C++ and

free.

> > > The site is really cool, even includes the K&R 2!

> > Yes, a very cool bunch of thieves. Do you want to be a thief as well?
> > No? Then I suggest you don't download stolen books.
> >
> > Richard

> lol, thief?
> actually, the sensored site is made by me, I think you won't see the
> copyrighted books on the site in less a month. I don't won't to be a
> thief either.

Then either remove the copyrighted works, or present evidence
that you have the owners' permission to distribute their works
on your site. And don't wait a month, do it now.

-Mike

Alan Balmer

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 08:03:33 GMT, "Mike Wahler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"D. Layman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello group,
>> After quite a long time of consideration, I'v finally decided to switch
>> from Java to C. Given the condition that almost without any knowledge on C

>and
>> 3 years expereince on java, , Which tutorial or book might be good for
>> me to start with? It would be the best if it's (freely) available on the

>net.
>> I'd prefer standard C, anyway some Gnu extensions are just fine.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any of your recommendation of book/tutorials or

>suggestions on
>> learning C.
>> Thanks in advance!

>http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
>(See section 1
>
>Also see the book reviews at www.accu.org

I've always wondered why accu does not have a review of K&R. To the
OP: If you work with the C language, you should definitely acquire
"The C Programming Language, Second Edition" by Kernighan and Ritchie.
Opinions vary on whether it's a good tutorial, but you will need it as
a reference. I personally think it's an excellent tutorial, but some
find it too terse.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting