Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Polarizing Filters

Polarizing Filters

Blair Howard

I came across a neat little trick the other day for adding a
polarizing filter effect in Photoshop. You may already be familiar
with it. If so, no harm done. If not, you may find it very helpful.
I've written an article with screen shots you can read at www.aioponline.org.
It's quick and easy. It really works. And it's a great way to add a
little extra punch to an otherwise bland image.

Blair Howard
Creative Director
www.AIOPonline.org

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
"Blair Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I came across a neat little trick the other day for adding a
> polarizing filter effect in Photoshop. You may already be familiar
> with it. If so, no harm done. If not, you may find it very helpful.
> I've written an article with screen shots you can read at www.aioponline.org.
> It's quick and easy. It really works. And it's a great way to add a
> little extra punch to an otherwise bland image.

Well, sort of...

The gradient tool also darkens the tops of the trees and a real
polarizing filter would also decrease the glare from the water.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply select the sky with the magic wand and
then adjust the levels?

--
m-m

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> "Blair Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I came across a neat little trick the other day for adding a
> > polarizing filter effect in Photoshop. You may already be familiar
> > with it. If so, no harm done. If not, you may find it very helpful.
> > I've written an article with screen shots you can read at
> > www.aioponline.org.
> > It's quick and easy. It really works. And it's a great way to add a
> > little extra punch to an otherwise bland image.

> Well, sort of...
>
> The gradient tool also darkens the tops of the trees and a real
> polarizing filter would also decrease the glare from the water.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to simply select the sky with the magic wand and
> then adjust the levels?

To add, select the sky with the magic wand and then feather the
selection...

--
m-m

Gautam Majumdar

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:15:46 +0000, Blair Howard wrote:

> I came across a neat little trick the other day for adding a polarizing
> filter effect in Photoshop. You may already be familiar with it. If so,
> no harm done. If not, you may find it very helpful. I've written an
> article with screen shots you can read at www.aioponline.org. It's quick
> and easy. It really works. And it's a great way to add a little extra
> punch to an otherwise bland image.

Looks to me more like the effects of a GND filter, rather than polariser.

--
gautam

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Mar 4, 12:15 am, "Blair Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I came across a neat little trick the other day for adding a
> polarizing filter effect in Photoshop. You may already be familiar
> with it. If so, no harm done. If not, you may find it very helpful.
> I've written an article with screen shots you can read at...
> It's quick and easy. It really works. And it's a great way to add a
> little extra punch to an otherwise bland image.
>
> Blair Howard
> Creative Director...

Apart from Blair posting little here but spam, his articles are
simplistic and often misleading, just like this one.

This does NOT, and cannot 'add a polarising filter'. Polarisers do a
*lot* more than can be simulated in PS, and given the article is aimed
at beginners, this fact should be stated up front- but it's not even
hinted at in the article. As another poster noted, this is nothing
but a graduated ND effect. Why does Blair suggest it is otherwise?

A photographer with skill would have used a polariser *at the time of
taking* that image to deepen the sky colour and increase contrast with
the clouds, reduce glare, intensify colours (esecially foliage) *and*
control the reflections. Depending on the importance of the image
(and to some degree the sun angle), two or three images with varying
amounts (or no) polarisation could taken, with a view to be blended to
create a postcard masterpiece. But even a single shot with polariser
would have been measurably better than the final result displayed.
*That* information would be much more useful to Blair's intended
audience.

Also, the webpage design is pretty mediocre - what's the point of the
first page, other than to try to look impressive, and make people
think it is an old and revered organisation of PJ's...? (It isn't.)
Then the article appears to be a blog, covered in the usual Google
ad's....

Next...