Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Router 2611 with two T1

Router 2611 with two T1

Exclusive

Hi everyone!
I heve a cisco router related question.
We have two 2611 peremeter routers and two T1 connections. Right now
one is primary and the other one is just backup. We want to be able to
utilize both connections. Which is the best way to do. Is it possible
to use just one 2611 router and configured it using both T1s?
I'll apreciate any help.
Thanks,

Smokey

Exclusive wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I heve a cisco router related question.
> We have two 2611 peremeter routers and two T1 connections. Right now
> one is primary and the other one is just backup. We want to be able to
> utilize both connections. Which is the best way to do. Is it possible
> to use just one 2611 router and configured it using both T1s?
> I'll apreciate any help.
> Thanks,

Hi,

With 2 WIC cards yes you would use Multilink:

interface Multilink1
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252 ***Wan IP***
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink fragment disable
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.240 ***LAN IP***
duplex auto
speed auto
no cdp enable
no mop enabled
!
interface Serial0/0
description T1 to USLEC S0/0
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no ip mroute-cache
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface Serial0/1
description T1 to USLEC S0/1
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no ip mroute-cache
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

Exclusive

Thanks, for the fast replay.

Yes I do have two WIC cards. Right now we have just one Frame Relay T1
connection. To mount the second WIC do I gotter simply power off and
put it in. Is it possible this to screw up the current configuration?

How is this working with Frame Relay? Can I use CEF because as I found
MLPPP needs more processer power?

Thanks,

Doug McIntyre

"Exclusive" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Yes I do have two WIC cards. Right now we have just one Frame Relay T1
>connection. To mount the second WIC do I gotter simply power off and
>put it in. Is it possible this to screw up the current configuration?

Yes, just power down and swap in the card. Power on, and the existing
config won't even mention the new card until you configure something.

>How is this working with Frame Relay? Can I use CEF because as I found
>MLPPP needs more processer power?

Only slightly more CPU, but MLPPP requires PPP underlying encapsulation.
(You didn't mention your encapsulation in the first post, so they
probably assumed). The CPU usage isn't too much an issue on a 2611
with only two T1s.

First off, do you control both sides of this link?

The best method is going to involve the other side to match what you do.

You could use Multi-Link FR, but upgrading the 2611 to support MLFR
might be too painful to bother with.

You can also do CEF per-packet load balancing, but unless the other
side matches, your inbound is only going to be utilizing one T1.

Thrill5

You can't do MLPPP with frame-relay. Depending on the size of your WAN
connections and the amount of data you are pushing through them, it is very,
very possible that you will spike the CPU to 100% on a 2611 if you turn off
CEF. The CPU on a 2611 is pretty feeble.

Scott
"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45e883bf$0$17409$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
> "Exclusive" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>Yes I do have two WIC cards. Right now we have just one Frame Relay T1
>>connection. To mount the second WIC do I gotter simply power off and
>>put it in. Is it possible this to screw up the current configuration?

> Yes, just power down and swap in the card. Power on, and the existing
> config won't even mention the new card until you configure something.
>
>>How is this working with Frame Relay? Can I use CEF because as I found
>>MLPPP needs more processer power?

> Only slightly more CPU, but MLPPP requires PPP underlying encapsulation.
> (You didn't mention your encapsulation in the first post, so they
> probably assumed). The CPU usage isn't too much an issue on a 2611
> with only two T1s.
>
> First off, do you control both sides of this link?
>
> The best method is going to involve the other side to match what you do.
>
> You could use Multi-Link FR, but upgrading the 2611 to support MLFR
> might be too painful to bother with.
>
> You can also do CEF per-packet load balancing, but unless the other
> side matches, your inbound is only going to be utilizing one T1.

MC

Thrill5 wrote:
> You can't do MLPPP with frame-relay. Depending on the size of your WAN
> connections and the amount of data you are pushing through them, it is very,
> very possible that you will spike the CPU to 100% on a 2611 if you turn off
> CEF. The CPU on a 2611 is pretty feeble.
>
> Scott
> "Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45e883bf$0$17409$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
>> "Exclusive" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> Yes I do have two WIC cards. Right now we have just one Frame Relay T1
>>> connection. To mount the second WIC do I gotter simply power off and
>>> put it in. Is it possible this to screw up the current configuration?

>> Yes, just power down and swap in the card. Power on, and the existing
>> config won't even mention the new card until you configure something.
>>
>>> How is this working with Frame Relay? Can I use CEF because as I found
>>> MLPPP needs more processer power?

>> Only slightly more CPU, but MLPPP requires PPP underlying encapsulation.
>> (You didn't mention your encapsulation in the first post, so they
>> probably assumed). The CPU usage isn't too much an issue on a 2611
>> with only two T1s.
>>
>> First off, do you control both sides of this link?
>>
>> The best method is going to involve the other side to match what you do.
>>
>> You could use Multi-Link FR, but upgrading the 2611 to support MLFR
>> might be too painful to bother with.
>>
>> You can also do CEF per-packet load balancing, but unless the other
>> side matches, your inbound is only going to be utilizing one T1.

Cisco does provide MLPPPoFR (Multilink PPP over frame relay).
Should have same size access and PVC's. Bundle at the PVC using sub
interfaces. Also virtual templates. Cisco web site has many examples. We
do this with all our sites that are still frame relay.
Make sure CEF is running globally on the router.
Multilink PPP has CPU overhead due to fragmentation reassembly but may
not be that bad.
I have had two full T1's on a 2610 router at one time doing OK, but nat
much other stuff with no ACL processing. So If is an XM series router
may do OK but not sure about using MLPPPoFR on non XM router.
Most routers today have enough horsepower, mostly depends on how much
other processing have going on like ACL's, etc.
MLPPPoFR was introduced sometime in the 12.x code but do not remember
what version.