Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cheapest 3 Ethernet Router

Cheapest 3 Ethernet Router

Bob Simon

I need to build a firewall between the outside and two inside
networks. What is Cisco's least expensive router with 3 Ethernet
interfaces?

I'm sure there are plenty of other router vendors that make a suitable
substitute. Can anyone suggest one with excellent reliability?
IOS-like command language would be nice but is not essential.

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Bob,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco 1841 (List Price: $1,395)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5875/index.html

and the HWIC-1FE (List Price: $1,400)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d80581fe6.html

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese on Cisco
Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet
http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco/

Bob Simon

On 2 Mar 2007 08:49:53 -0800, "www.BradReese.Com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Bob,
>
>You may wish to investigate the Cisco 1841 (List Price: $1,395)
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5875/index.html
>
>and the HWIC-1FE (List Price: $1,400)
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d80581fe6.html
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Brad Reese on Cisco
>Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet
>http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco/

Brad,
Thank you very much. I will check with the client and see if he's
willing to spend $2800. But I'm pretty sure that he'll ask me to find
another solution.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I need to build a firewall between the outside and two inside
>networks. What is Cisco's least expensive router with 3 Ethernet
>interfaces?

You may wish to consider something in the PIX or ASA line.

If you have an inside router with VLAN support, then you could
use as little as a PIX 506E, running the third interface as
an 802.1Q VLAN on the inside physical interface. If you need
three physical interfaces, the PIX-515E-R-DMZ-BUN
can apparently be had for as little as $US2150 (Network Warehouse)
though most places are ~$US2500.

The corresponding ASA model with multiple physical interfaces
(that are not switched together) is the ASA5510 -- though
it appears that the ASA 5505 with the Security Plus license could
also do it. THe part numbers look to be ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9
and and ASA5510-BUN-K9; looks like you can get the 5505-SEC for
less than $US1100.

Scooby

"Bob Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need to build a firewall between the outside and two inside
> networks. What is Cisco's least expensive router with 3 Ethernet
> interfaces?
>
> I'm sure there are plenty of other router vendors that make a suitable
> substitute. Can anyone suggest one with excellent reliability?
> IOS-like command language would be nice but is not essential.

Check out Sonicwall. I like their firewalls and you can find one to do
this, with a reasonable price tag. There is only a web based UI, so no IOS,
but I do like the interface.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Aaron Leonard

831 with the "DMZ port" feature or, better, an 871 (would need a featureset
with multiple VLAN support I believe, see
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8028a982.shtml .)

Aaron

---

~