Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Token Ring ro RJ-45 Adapters

Reply
Thread Tools

Token Ring ro RJ-45 Adapters

 
 
dubster3
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2007
Hi,

I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will
work properly?

Thanks!
dubster3

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bod43@hotmail.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2007
On 24 Feb, 13:40, "dubster3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
> thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
> However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
> Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will


I had always assumed that these devices had components in them
to impedence match betweed the 150 ohm "IBM" cabling and the
100 ohm UTP.

Whether it will ever work without the matching I don't know.

Also:-
You say from "TR to RJ45". It will still be TR. Not sure if this is
just
slip or if you hope to convert from TR to Ethernet which needs
quite a bit more than a few wires.

Shame you didn't post to comp.dcom.lans.token-ring
since it has been a few years since a real message
was posted. There was a homework question last
month though.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
kika
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2007

"dubster3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
> thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
> However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
> Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will
> work properly?
>

I think those RJ-45 to DB-9-M are not what you think they are. Did you
see anything on pccable.com to indicate that? I couldn't find any.

I think these are meant to connect Cisco console ports to PCs.




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Thrill5
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2007
Token-Ring can run on shielded or unshielded twisted-pair (UTP). Shielded
cabling used different impedance and used different connecters than UTP.
The standard DB9 on the Token-Ring card is to connect to shielded or UTP
depending on which "dongle" you use. The "dongle" you bought allows you to
connect to UTP cabling, it does NOT convert it to Ethernet, meaning you
still need a Token-Ring hub/switch to connect the device to.

Scott

"dubster3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
> thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
> However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
> Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will
> work properly?
>
> Thanks!
> dubster3
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2007
"dubster3" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
>thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
>However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
>Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will
>work properly?


Wow, why would anybody be messing with Token-Ring still?

Going from the DB9 to RJ45 token ring was more than just an adapter,
there was a balun and filter in each of them.

But why are you messing with making something when token-ring media
filter/adaptors are $0.99 on eBay?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Francois Labreque
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2007
Doug McIntyre a écrit :
> "dubster3" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
>> thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
>> However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
>> Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will
>> work properly?

>
> Wow, why would anybody be messing with Token-Ring still?
>


IBM still has a few mainframes here and there...

Just a thought.
--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
flabreque | button on a cat who wants breakfast.
@ | - Unattributed quote from rec.humor.funny
videotron.ca
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil Pike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2007
And any of those bought in the last 10 years come with ethernet comms...

> IBM still has a few mainframes here and there...
>
> Just a thought.



Neil Pike
Protech Computing Ltd



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RING RING RING Dashing through the wind, In a four dog dragged sleigh. Oh the street we go, laughing all the way Mathematician C++ 0 12-24-2006 02:26 PM
Supply Telephone Voice Modular Adapters,Telephone Modular Couplers,Modular Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,Telephone extension Cord samul888@vip.163.com Cisco 1 11-13-2005 09:23 AM
Supply Telephone Voice Modular Adapters,Telephone Modular Couplers,Modular Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,Telephone extension Cord samul888@vip.163.com VOIP 0 11-12-2005 06:22 AM
Supply Telephone Accessories,Modular Adapters Couplers,Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,ADSL Adapters,Plug With RJ12 Jacks samul888@vip.163.com Cisco 0 11-10-2005 07:47 AM
Ring ring....ring ring.... Slumpy Computer Support 1 07-06-2003 10:57 PM



Advertisments