Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Which ports to forward on my linksys to cisco

Which ports to forward on my linksys to cisco

Wayne Rasmussen

Hi,

My office has a cisco router which has been setup to allow VPN
connections. This has been working for 4+years.

At home, I have a router from Adelphia which works for connecting
through vpn to my office using a Windows 2000 PC with the MS vpn client
software.

I just purchased a Linksys router (Model BEFSR41) so that I can have a
number of PCs and servers setup in my home which can connect to the
internet. I am using static IPs internally due to Sun Servers and not
really interested in doing DHCP with those.

Everything seems to be working except with the VPN connection to work.
It times out with error 651: Your modem (or other connecting device) has
reported an error. I tried forwarding ports 1-65536 to this PC with both
udp and tcp and it still gets the same error.

Does anyone know how I can determine the speicfic ports which need to be
forwarded? Also, just in case someone asks, the office is not using a
Windows server to control the vpn access, it is all on the router.

As a test, I changed the PC back to DHCP and moved the network cable
from the linksys to adelphia's router and the VPN connection still works.

Thanks

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wayne Rasmussen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My office has a cisco router which has been setup to allow VPN
>connections. This has been working for 4+years.

>I just purchased a Linksys router (Model BEFSR41)

>Everything seems to be working except with the VPN connection to work.
>It times out with error 651: Your modem (or other connecting device) has
>reported an error. I tried forwarding ports 1-65536 to this PC with both
>udp and tcp and it still gets the same error.

>Does anyone know how I can determine the speicfic ports which need to be
>forwarded?

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.d...deeb3fbdf19fea

Wayne Rasmussen

Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Wayne Rasmussen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>My office has a cisco router which has been setup to allow VPN
>>connections. This has been working for 4+years.

>>I just purchased a Linksys router (Model BEFSR41)

>>Everything seems to be working except with the VPN connection to work.
>>It times out with error 651: Your modem (or other connecting device) has
>>reported an error. I tried forwarding ports 1-65536 to this PC with both
>>udp and tcp and it still gets the same error.

>>Does anyone know how I can determine the speicfic ports which need to be
>>forwarded?

> http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.d...deeb3fbdf19fea

Thanks!