Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > which one to go for VB6/VB.net

which one to go for VB6/VB.net

Sri

I want to get MCSD certification.I realize that VB6 is
going to be retired soon. I worked with Vb6, some extent
prepared for 70-176. Whereas about .net I have no Idea.
Although I did go thru some upgrade notes. I have two
questions.

1. Is the transition easy from Vb6 to VB.net.
2.What should I do? go for .net or VB6.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sri

Spend a year learning VB.NET. Once done, start studying for VB.NET
certification.

"Sri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03ca01c3a57d$24bdcf20$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to get MCSD certification.I realize that VB6 is
> going to be retired soon. I worked with Vb6, some extent
> prepared for 70-176. Whereas about .net I have no Idea.
> Although I did go thru some upgrade notes. I have two
> questions.
>
> 1. Is the transition easy from Vb6 to VB.net.
> 2.What should I do? go for .net or VB6.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Sri

Why would you tell someone that is already acquainted with
programming to study VB.NET for a year? Is that so they
don't go out into the working world and jeopardise your
possibilities. Most programmers can pick up a new language
in a few months and easily pass the test. It must be you
that is new to programming since all of us programmers
know this. I program in 8 languages. You?

The Rock

I suggest you to certify your current skill for VB6 first, and then jump to
VB.NET later...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03a201c3a586$ec8c6350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why would you tell someone that is already acquainted with
> programming to study VB.NET for a year? Is that so they
> don't go out into the working world and jeopardise your
> possibilities. Most programmers can pick up a new language
> in a few months and easily pass the test. It must be you
> that is new to programming since all of us programmers
> know this. I program in 8 languages. You?

Kline Sphere

Absolutely.
Learn one oo language, the rest are easy to learn. Generally design &
programming techniques don't change, only the constructs and syntax
do. In any case programming forms only a small part of the development
process.

I will say though, that learning the ins and outs of dot net does
require more effort, although you certainly don't need to understand
it a great deal in order to pass the exams.

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:29:00 -0800,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why would you tell someone that is already acquainted with
>programming to study VB.NET for a year? Is that so they
>don't go out into the working world and jeopardise your
>possibilities. Most programmers can pick up a new language
>in a few months and easily pass the test. It must be you
>that is new to programming since all of us programmers
>know this. I program in 8 languages. You?

Sri didn't express an immediate interest in landing a job. He did say that
he has no idea about .NET, and it can in fact take a year to become fully
acquanted with a new platform (it's not just leaning a new language). I
already have a job, so I'm not concerned with misleading potential
competitors. My only intention is to provide useful and pragmatic advise to
someone who asked for it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03a201c3a586$ec8c6350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why would you tell someone that is already acquainted with
> programming to study VB.NET for a year? Is that so they
> don't go out into the working world and jeopardise your
> possibilities. Most programmers can pick up a new language
> in a few months and easily pass the test. It must be you
> that is new to programming since all of us programmers
> know this. I program in 8 languages. You?

Sri

Thanks for the info I just have one more question, Is
there some kind of upgade exam after MCSD VB6 so that we
don't have to take all 5 exams .I heard MS was offering
something like that & that is free if you are already a
MCSD.

Kline Sphere

Too late.