Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > network browser problem error 6118

network browser problem error 6118

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

Hi, all,

I have subnets in the network which contains PIX firewall and layer 3
switch (Cat4506) , but only one subnet ( say 172.27.5.0/24 ) can not
be browsed
from the "My Network places".

This subnet has no networking server.

Some findings from the network:
1. when I used the DOS command "net view \\172.27.5.51" from the same
subnet or outside the
subnet, I got the result:
There are no entries in the list

2. in the same subnet ( 172.27.5.0/24 ), I used the DOS command "net
view", I got the result
System error 6118 has occurred.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently
available

3. While browsing the subnet from the "My network places" of any XP
workstation, I got the result:
Hello is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Any idea or solution ?

Thanks so much

Thrill5

I'm assuming you are not running Active Directory, so you need a WINS
server, and all of your clients configure to use it. Google or search
Microsoft for "WINS", "nbns" and "netbios name server".

Scott
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...