Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Move PIX 515e IOS7x config from one PIX to another?

Move PIX 515e IOS7x config from one PIX to another?

Scott Townsend

We picked up another PIX and wanted to use it instead of the unit we have.
What is the best way to use our Current Config and copy over to the new PIX.
The new PIX will replace the old one and the old unit will become a spare.

Both are running the same IOS.

Thank you.
Scott<-

Walter Roberson

In article <W7%zh.21557$(E-Mail Removed) >,
Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>We picked up another PIX and wanted to use it instead of the unit we have.
>What is the best way to use our Current Config and copy over to the new PIX.
>The new PIX will replace the old one and the old unit will become a spare.

>Both are running the same IOS.

tftp the config up to a tftp server, modify the internal IP address
in the uploaded copy, and then tftp the modified config down to the
other machine. When you have finished testing, change the IP address
on both boxes.

In order to tftp up, configure the "tftp-server" settings, and
then go into configuration mode and "write net". Or in PIX 7,
you should be able to use the exec-level "copy" command instead.

Scott Townsend

Thanks, I'll give this a try today...

So does this also move over all of the Certificates for the unit too, or do
I need to get new ones fro the CA? I'm concerned about the Certs as we also
use it for IPSec VPN and also have a few other PTP VPNs.

Thanks,
Scott<-
"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In article <W7%zh.21557$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>>We picked up another PIX and wanted to use it instead of the unit we have.
>>What is the best way to use our Current Config and copy over to the new
>>PIX.
>>The new PIX will replace the old one and the old unit will become a spare.

>>Both are running the same IOS.

> tftp the config up to a tftp server, modify the internal IP address
> in the uploaded copy, and then tftp the modified config down to the
> other machine. When you have finished testing, change the IP address
> on both boxes.
>
> In order to tftp up, configure the "tftp-server" settings, and
> then go into configuration mode and "write net". Or in PIX 7,
> you should be able to use the exec-level "copy" command instead.

Walter Roberson

In article <5ZFAh.76318$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>So does this also move over all of the Certificates for the unit too, or do
>I need to get new ones fro the CA? I'm concerned about the Certs as we also
>use it for IPSec VPN and also have a few other PTP VPNs.

Good question; tftp'ing the configuration will NOT move certificates.

In PIX 6, there is no way to import certificates or RSA keys,
except that I would expect that connecting in a failover configuration
would allow key synchronization.

In PIX 7, I've lost track of the 'ca' commands, so I don't know
what can be done.

Lutz Donnerhacke

* Walter Roberson wrote:
> Good question; tftp'ing the configuration will NOT move certificates.

PIX7 contains the keys and certificates in the config. tftp is enough.