Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > QoS - Why use egress queing

QoS - Why use egress queing

response3

Hi all,

I have a Catalyst 6500, and am learning QoS. I have read that this
switch has the capability to perform QoS functions on an egress port,
specifically, egress queuing and COS remarking. My question is, why
is this useful if I have ingress classification, and congestion
avoidance (WRED) setup on all my ingress ports?

BTW, it seems getting QoS setup is quite a convoluted process. Any
suggestions? I have the Cisco QoS Exam Guide, but can anyone
recommend some supplemental reading that is more of a high-level
overview of the Cisco implementation?

Thanks for the help

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

On 9 Feb, 21:04, "response3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Catalyst 6500, and am learning QoS. I have read that this
> switch has the capability to perform QoS functions on an egress port,
> specifically, egress queuing and COS remarking. My question is, why
> is this useful if I have ingress classification, and congestion
> avoidance (WRED) setup on all my ingress ports?
>
> BTW, it seems getting QoS setup is quite a convoluted process. Any
> suggestions? I have the Cisco QoS Exam Guide, but can anyone
> recommend some supplemental reading that is more of a high-level
> overview of the Cisco implementation?
>
> Thanks for the help

Egress queuing is useful if two or more ingress
ports send traffic to a single egress port. Or of
course a high speed ingress port feeds a lower
speed egress port. I think that the keys to
QoS are ingress (or of course at source) marking
and egress queuing.

Settin up QoS is a convoluted process.

I have not yet really been there, done that,
however the routers (cpu switching - 2800, 3800,
7200) do QoS quite straightforwardly however the
switches seem require you to get pretty close
to the hardware.

Even the routers though have variations
between models, interfaces, etc.