Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Need some advice and opinions

Need some advice and opinions

Leigh Kendall

Got it... Nor is it industry specific! I think about 99% of the world is
made up of them!

"Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Not sure what you mean?...

> Exactly what it says. Being a 'DUMB A*S' programmer is not tied down
> to one who only knows vb, i.e. it;s not language specific!

Kline Sphere

>I think about 99% of the world is
>made up of them!

Oh dear.....

General Protection Fault

Leigh Kendall wrote:

>>If you learn C# first, VB.NET might be tough because you'll have to
>>learn to think like a moron to program in VB.NET.

> Are you an insecure C bigot or an ex-VB'er with an inferiority complex?

Microsoft made the programming entry barrier so low with VB6 that any
moron could and did start programming.

As well, "On Error Goto" was a slap in Dijkstra's face. The language
itself encouraged improper and haphazard programming. VB.NET may be a
new language but still too wordy.

General Protection Fault

Leigh Kendall wrote:

> You are right on.
>
> In reality, the thing that's important, is understanding the framework and
> all the base class libraries. Pick a language you like and go from there.
> Once you know the framework, it's for the most part a simple translation
> between languages. Yes, some things are easier to do in one than the other,
> but not earth shattering.
>
> As a "professional" (not used loosely), you MUST be able to work with both,
> and at a minimum, be able to read both.

Exactly. I'm writing my exams in C# but I know both languages. Among
others.

The langauge is irrelevant, and people *still* don't understand that.

Leigh Kendall

....and never will.

"General Protection Fault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Leigh Kendall wrote:
>
> > You are right on.
> >
> > In reality, the thing that's important, is understanding the framework

and
> > all the base class libraries. Pick a language you like and go from

there.
> > Once you know the framework, it's for the most part a simple translation
> > between languages. Yes, some things are easier to do in one than the

other,
> > but not earth shattering.
> >
> > As a "professional" (not used loosely), you MUST be able to work with

both,
> > and at a minimum, be able to read both.

> Exactly. I'm writing my exams in C# but I know both languages. Among
> others.
>
> The langauge is irrelevant, and people *still* don't understand that.

Leigh Kendall

I don't disagree; with the ease of learning curve in VB, the moron
floodgates did open. I know one too many myself...

I don't know, the wordiness mainly comes from closing tags and a more
descriptive, verbose language. Some like myself don't mind it, others do. On
the other hand, I really don't mind C#'s case sensitivity, curly braces,
semi-colons and terseness; others I know shutter at it. Whatever floats your
boat, and better yet, pays the bills!

"General Protection Fault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Leigh Kendall wrote:
>
> >>If you learn C# first, VB.NET might be tough because you'll have to
> >>learn to think like a moron to program in VB.NET.

> > Are you an insecure C bigot or an ex-VB'er with an inferiority complex?

> Microsoft made the programming entry barrier so low with VB6 that any
> moron could and did start programming.
>
> As well, "On Error Goto" was a slap in Dijkstra's face. The language
> itself encouraged improper and haphazard programming. VB.NET may be a
> new language but still too wordy.

Chris Pettingill

I was kind of suprised to see the case-sensitivity in C#, and would have
expected this to have been left behind. I can't think of a good reason to
allow this. I'm just getting familiar with the VS.NET IDE, but I'm hoping
there's an option in the IDE that will give me comiler warnings (or
something similar) if I try to use the same identifier name with different
captilization in my code. Intellisense will help somewhat, but I'd like the
option to enforce this more strictly.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Leigh Kendall wrote:

> I don't disagree; with the ease of learning curve in VB, the moron
> floodgates did open. I know one too many myself...
>
> I don't know, the wordiness mainly comes from closing tags and a more
> descriptive, verbose language. Some like myself don't mind it, others do. On
> the other hand, I really don't mind C#'s case sensitivity, curly braces,
> semi-colons and terseness; others I know shutter at it. Whatever floats your
> boat, and better yet, pays the bills!

As soon as I saw the "NotInheritable" keyword I started laughing. That
may be the longest keyword since Java's "synchronized."

Kline Sphere

>As soon as I saw the "NotInheritable" keyword I started laughing. That
>may be the longest keyword since Java's "synchronized."

lol.

I guess it was a choice between that and CanNotBeInstantiated.

Kline Sphere

Actually that was complete rubbish.