Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco VPN client and Linksys VPN compatibility?

Cisco VPN client and Linksys VPN compatibility?

Ramon F Herrera

I am pretty familiar with the Cisco VPN device (the one that used to
be called Altiga), but I have no experience whatsoever with the
Linksys VPN boxes.

Can I use my Cisco VPN client to connect to a Linksys VPN box?

Can I use my Cisco VPN client to connect to a Linux host running some
sort of IPsec?

TIA,

-Ramon F Herrera

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
Ramon F Herrera <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am pretty familiar with the Cisco VPN device (the one that used to
>be called Altiga), but I have no experience whatsoever with the
>Linksys VPN boxes.

>Can I use my Cisco VPN client to connect to a Linksys VPN box?

I'm not sure on that point. I can say, though, that my Linksys VPN
boxes have no problems connecting to a PIX.

>Can I use my Cisco VPN client to connect to a Linux host running some
>sort of IPsec?

My understanding is that the Cisco client can be used to connect
to FreeSWAN (or whatever it got renamed to.)

Ramon F Herrera

On Feb 6, 8:23 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Walter Roberson) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> Ramon F Herrera <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I am pretty familiar with the Cisco VPN device (the one that used to
> >be called Altiga), but I have no experience whatsoever with the
> >Linksys VPN boxes.
> >Can I use my Cisco VPN client to connect to a Linksys VPN box?

> I'm not sure on that point. I can say, though, that my Linksys VPN
> boxes have no problems connecting to a PIX.
>
> >Can I use my Cisco VPN client to connect to a Linux host running some
> >sort of IPsec?

> My understanding is that the Cisco client can be used to connect
> to FreeSWAN (or whatever it got renamed to.)

I am trying to decide whether to buy the Linksys RV042 or the RVL200.

Suggestions, anyone?

-Ramon

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Ramon F Herrera <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to decide whether to buy the Linksys RV042 or the RVL200.

>Suggestions, anyone?

I am not familiar with either. Here's one link to some reviews:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...1206275&page=1

There are a number of other reviews around, including Toms Hardware
for the RV082 apparently.