Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 802.1x and software deployment (symantec ghost)

802.1x and software deployment (symantec ghost)

chusome

My organization is looking into 802.1x authentication for some parts
of the lan. Our concern is how can we use our Software deployment
suite (symantec ghost) with this in place. i.e. If i try to boot from
an MS-DOS network boot disk to reimage a machine it won't authenticate
since there is no 802.1x client for DOS and thus won't be allowed
access.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Is anyone deploying software on an 802.1x secured lan?

chusome

In case anyone stumbles across this and is asking the same question
here is the answer I was able to find.

The issue of deploying software over an 802.1x secured network an be
easily taken care of by setting up a guest vlan. How it works is if
the client fails the 802.1x authentication the switch will put the
client into the guest vlan that you have pre-configured. You could
setup the guest vlan to only permit access to ports required by your
software deployment package. After your finished the deployment your
machines will be able authenticate and will be placed into the proper
vlan.

See: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/
cat2950/12114ea1/2950scg/sw8021x.htm#1062403