Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VOIP QOS problems

VOIP QOS problems

Can2002

I've been trying to configure some QOS functions on my 877W. I've
followed a number of examples and used the following (trimmed)
configuration:

class-map match-any VOIP-Data
match dscp ef
class-map match-any VOIP-Signalling
match dscp cs3

policy-map QOS-VOIP
class VOIP-Signalling
bandwidth 8
class VOIP-Data
bandwidth 96
class class-default
fair-queue

Interface Dialer0
service-policy output QOS-VOIP

When I do 'show policy-map inter dial 0', I see the following:

Dialer0

Service-policy output: QOS-VOIP

Class-map: VOIP-Signalling (match-any)
0 packets, 0 bytes
5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
Match: dscp cs3 (24)
0 packets, 0 bytes
5 minute rate 0 bps
Queueing
Output Queue: Conversation 73
Bandwidth 8 (kbps)Max Threshold 64 (packets)
(pkts matched/bytes matched) 0/0
(depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

Class-map: VOIP-Data (match-any)
0 packets, 0 bytes
5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
Match: dscp ef (46)
0 packets, 0 bytes
5 minute rate 0 bps
Queueing
Output Queue: Conversation 74
Bandwidth 96 (kbps)Max Threshold 64 (packets)
(pkts matched/bytes matched) 0/0
(depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

Class-map: class-default (match-any)
0 packets, 0 bytes
5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
Match: any
Queueing
Flow Based Fair Queueing
Maximum Number of Hashed Queues 64
(total queued/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

It's clearly not matching packets, VoIP or otherwise. It's probably a
really stupid mistake, but I'd appreciate any ideas!

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. I've doe a sniff on the VoIP PBX and can see it sending packets
with the DSCP field set to EF (0xB

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Chris,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Router Configure QoS Template:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6136216.html

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
2007 Cisco Salary Rates
http://www.bradreese.com/compensation-database.htm

Can2002

On 29 Jan, 05:01, "www.BradReese.Com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> You may wish to investigate the Cisco Router Configure QoS Template:

Hi Brad,

Thanks for that.

I got to the bottom of the problem after a bit more checking; I'd left
a route-map entry on my internal interface that was stopping the
service-policy on the dialer interface. Once I removed it I
immediatly started getting matches. I can now properly experiment
with QOS, so I'll definitely take a look at the template!

Cheers,
Chris

Can2002

OK, the policy-map is now picking up the traffic, but it's not doing
much good if I kick off a large upstream file transfer.

I'm using an ADSL 2048/256 service and I suspect I'm experiencing
serialization delay. I'm wondering whether it's possible to use the
policy map to drop packets over a certain size when a VoIP call is in
progress. I can match packet size in a class-map, I'm just not sure
how to link that into the policy-map (e.g. I don't want to block every
large packet, just when a VoIP call is happening).

Cheers,
Chris