Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > schedule an action on a router

schedule an action on a router

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

On 25 Jan, 16:01, (E-Mail Removed) (Walter Roberson) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Regarding Cisco tcl examples, where were you looking,
> >under the bed? Did you try google?
> >[cisco tcl example] in google returns what looks to me
> >like some excellent examples as the first hit and
> >the second and third look rather promising.None of the first couple of pages of google hits even hints at

> how a timed event might be executed. It appears that a couple of
> Cisco (or ex-Cisco) employees have written books about using tcl,
> but the ones I find were written a decade ago and thus do not
> describe what is possible for IOS.
>
> Here's a source that -maybe- would help:http://tcllib.sourceforge.net/

The missing piece was that I assumed that the timing and the
operations carried out were seperate functions. I have not tried it but
I have heard that Enterpries IOS supports "cron" which
provides in some way the scheduling leaving tcl for the
operations.

Maybe I am mistaken.

I had a look at the first example that google
returned and it looked as if there was enough to get going with.

If there really is a cron lookalike and a seperate tcl then
I would certainly use them in that way and would not consider
rolling my own scheduller in tcl, even if the tools were provided.
But then I am not really a programmer.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have heard that Enterpries IOS supports "cron" which
>provides in some way the scheduling leaving tcl for the
>operations.

>If there really is a cron lookalike and a seperate tcl then
>I would certainly use them in that way and would not consider
>rolling my own scheduller in tcl, even if the tools were provided.
>But then I am not really a programmer.

I already posted pointers to Cisco's kron facility. I might have missed
something, but it appears that kron is restricted to EXEC mode commands.
Invoking the tcl shell is an EXEC mode command, but does not look to
take arguments (such as a single command or a script name). As I do
not happen to have anything close to an appropriate device on hand,
I cannot experiment to see what can be hacked together.

I like the external SNMP Set idea, but I am wondering if the
administrative status of an interface is settable via SNMP ? If not,
then the SNMP used might have to be to set the name of a configuration
file and then to trigger a tftp of that configuration file, with
the configuration file having the appropriate "shutdown" or "no shut"
command.

Possibly there is an approach in the "cli cns" kron command.

Oh wait -- is copying in a file from tftp an EXEC mode command
or a config mode command?