Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Help with backing up and restoring IOS on Cisco 1200 Series Access Points

Help with backing up and restoring IOS on Cisco 1200 Series Access Points

C1266OCDSB

I have a number of 1200 series Access-points deployed across numerous
sites which are configured to use MAC authentication off a RADIUS
server. The encryption is set to WPA/PSK. and TKIP running on IOS
12.2(15)JA.

The IOS on one these access points mistakenly was upgraded to a newer
version that no longer supports this configuration and as luck would
nave it, we no longer seem to have a copy of the original image file.
Is there a way to get a new copy of the image file for
c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.bin when it is no longer offered for download
from Cisco's web site? failing that, is there a procedure to pull it
off one of my AP's still running this IOS? I have been able to copy the
file using tftp from one of the good AP's, (copy
flash:/c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA tftp) but have been unable to tftp the
resulting file back. I get an error telling me the format of the file
is incompatible. It seems to me that one should be able to back up an
IOS image from a device and successfully restore that back up.

Suggestions

Thanks

Merv

C1266OCDSB wrote:
> I have a number of 1200 series Access-points deployed across numerous
> sites which are configured to use MAC authentication off a RADIUS
> server. The encryption is set to WPA/PSK. and TKIP running on IOS
> 12.2(15)JA.
>
> The IOS on one these access points mistakenly was upgraded to a newer
> version that no longer supports this configuration and as luck would
> nave it, we no longer seem to have a copy of the original image file.
> Is there a way to get a new copy of the image file for
> c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.bin when it is no longer offered for download
> from Cisco's web site? failing that, is there a procedure to pull it
> off one of my AP's still running this IOS? I have been able to copy the
> file using tftp from one of the good AP's, (copy
> flash:/c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA tftp) but have been unable to tftp the
> resulting file back. I get an error telling me the format of the file
> is incompatible. It seems to me that one should be able to back up an
> IOS image from a device and successfully restore that back up.

You might want to have a look at the "archive upload" and "archive
donwload" commands