Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Migrating from supervisor engine 1a to supervisor 2, pfc2, msfc2. Any tips ?

Migrating from supervisor engine 1a to supervisor 2, pfc2, msfc2. Any tips ?

acdsp

Hello all,

We've been running 2 6500, supervisor 1a/pfc/msfc for some years and as
the network have grown, we bought 4 supervisor II, pfc2, msfc2 (no
budget for Sup720 for now). I'm looking for hear from people who made
this conversion for any tips they have.

The first difference we've found is the limitation in the number of
HSRP groups (256 in Supervisor 1 and 16 in supervisor 2, sigh!).

If there are some thoughts, reports, regrets , etc, I will be glad
to hear from you.

Thank you.
Antonio

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

acdsp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We've been running 2 6500, supervisor 1a/pfc/msfc for some years and as
> the network have grown, we bought 4 supervisor II, pfc2, msfc2 (no
> budget for Sup720 for now). I'm looking for hear from people who made
> this conversion for any tips they have.
>
> The first difference we've found is the limitation in the number of
> HSRP groups (256 in Supervisor 1 and 16 in supervisor 2, sigh!).
>
> If there are some thoughts, reports, regrets , etc, I will be glad
> to hear from you.

Hmmm. 16 system wide unique HSRP groups hardly seems like a
limitation to me.

It does prevent you from doing

int x
ip 10.1.x.1 /24
stand x whatever

repeat for x = 1 to 255.

However this is a convention that does not produce any
network functional benefit.

There is nothing to prevent you from using the same standby group(s) on
every
interface. I have seen cases where two groups were used
on each interface for load balancing but never more.

int x
ip 10.1.x.1 /24
stand 1 ......
stand 2 .....

repeat for x - 1 to 255

Anyway for a full explanation see:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...1c6bb.shtml#q1

Cisco hardly ever do anything that prevents customers from delivering
effective networks. Really, it's very rare which is why I knew to look
it up.

stephen

"acdsp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hello all,
>
> We've been running 2 6500, supervisor 1a/pfc/msfc for some years and as
> the network have grown, we bought 4 supervisor II, pfc2, msfc2 (no
> budget for Sup720 for now). I'm looking for hear from people who made
> this conversion for any tips they have.
>
> The first difference we've found is the limitation in the number of
> HSRP groups (256 in Supervisor 1 and 16 in supervisor 2, sigh!).

you dont mention whether you are running CatOS /IOS or an integrated
image....

16 group addresses or possibly some other limit (i think - a long time
ago) - but you can reuse them within different subnets....

> If there are some thoughts, reports, regrets , etc, I will be glad
> to hear from you.

MSFC / PFC IP doesnt use route caching, so better performance than a Sup 1A
for some forwarding, and some better hardware assist.

sup1a EOL - note near the end on trade ins....
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8017a5d1.html

Cat6k stuff
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...ries_home.html

best practice bit (CatOS - there is a similar one for IOS somewhere on
cisco.com)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094713.shtml

AFAIR better QoS as well, depending on s/w, line cards etc......

--
Regards