Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Combining vty definitions on a switch

Combining vty definitions on a switch

JF Mezei

Cisco 2924 XL-EN 12.0(5) WC9

I have the following definitions in running-config:

line vty 0 4
password ubdpnpdf
login
terminal-type VT300
exec-character-bits 8
length 0
international
line vty 5 15
password ubdpnpdf
login
terminal-type VT300
exec-character-bits 8
length 0
international

This is what I want : (and put in my startup-config:

!
line vty 0 15
password ubdpnpdf
login
terminal-type VT300
exec-character-bits 8
length 0
international
!

AKA: I want to combine this in a single line vty 0 15 block.

I tried copy startup-config running-config, and it left the vty definitions
in 2 blocks.

I tried to "configure" and again, it left it in 2 blocks.

I assume that the existing definitions are not deletable from a running
system and so trying to create a "0 15" block results in no action since it
would duplicate the existing 2 blocks ?

Is a reboot the only way to get this done ? Or is there some magic command
incantation that would solve this ?

(those 2 blocks were probably created when I was toying with the switch
during initial "get to know it").

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

JF Mezei wrote:
> Cisco 2924 XL-EN 12.0(5) WC9
>
> I have the following definitions in running-config:
>
> line vty 0 4
> password ubdpnpdf
> login
> terminal-type VT300
> exec-character-bits 8
> length 0
> international
> line vty 5 15
> password ubdpnpdf
> login
> terminal-type VT300
> exec-character-bits 8
> length 0
> international
>

> This is what I want : (and put in my startup-config:
>
> !
> line vty 0 15
> password ubdpnpdf
> login
> terminal-type VT300
> exec-character-bits 8
> length 0
> international
> !
>
> AKA: I want to combine this in a single line vty 0 15 block.
>

> I tried copy startup-config running-config, and it left the vty definitions
> in 2 blocks.
>
> I tried to "configure" and again, it left it in 2 blocks.
>
> I assume that the existing definitions are not deletable from a running
> system and so trying to create a "0 15" block results in no action since it
> would duplicate the existing 2 blocks ?
>
> Is a reboot the only way to get this done ? Or is there some magic command
> incantation that would solve this ?
>
> (those 2 blocks were probably created when I was toying with the switch
> during initial "get to know it").

No, these two blocks are normal.

You can I think refer to them for the purpose of
config changes with

line vty 0 15

I have never worried about this.

JF Mezei

> No, these two blocks are normal.
>
> You can I think refer to them for the purpose of
> config changes with
>
> line vty 0 15

Many thanks. If those 2 blocks are there by default, then I neededn't worry
aout something bad I had done before

I appreciate all the responses you've given me.

How do you send a message to other vty that's on the switch Trouble Cisco 1 08-18-2006 03:09 AM
Access- List line vty 0 4 mpeterson711@comcast.net Cisco 9 06-22-2005 10:36 PM
Distinguish vty sessions on routers. AM Cisco 1 05-20-2005 06:16 PM
line vty password. AM Cisco 3 01-08-2005 07:56 AM
Aironet 1200 with RADIUS VTY authentication Greg Cisco 2 09-13-2004 12:01 PM

Advertisments