Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Accessing internal server using external IP?

Accessing internal server using external IP?

hmaracic@gmail.com

Hi!
I have a CISCO SOHO 91 router and on my LAN I have a web server. My
SOHO 91 is connected to an ADSL modem so it get a new IP address every
24h from my ISP.
I managed to configure it so that people can access my server from the
internet, but when I try accessing it from one of my inside computers
using external IP address (dyndns - works from the outside), it won't
work.
Is it possible to make this work? I'd like to be able to access my
inside web server from the inside using outside IP address.
Thank you very much for any help!

Thrill5

I think its possible but only if your server and client are on different
networks.

Scott
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi!
> I have a CISCO SOHO 91 router and on my LAN I have a web server. My
> SOHO 91 is connected to an ADSL modem so it get a new IP address every
> 24h from my ISP.
> I managed to configure it so that people can access my server from the
> internet, but when I try accessing it from one of my inside computers
> using external IP address (dyndns - works from the outside), it won't
> work.
> Is it possible to make this work? I'd like to be able to access my
> inside web server from the inside using outside IP address.
> Thank you very much for any help!

Rod Dorman

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a CISCO SOHO 91 router and on my LAN I have a web server. My
>SOHO 91 is connected to an ADSL modem so it get a new IP address every
>24h from my ISP.

i.e. you don't have a static address,

>I managed to configure it so that people can access my server from the
>internet,

Have you checked to make sure that's permitted by your ISP's TOS?

>but when I try accessing it from one of my inside computers
>using external IP address (dyndns - works from the outside), it won't
>work.
>Is it possible to make this work? I'd like to be able to access my
>inside web server from the inside using outside IP address.

The recommended way to do this is to run split DNS so 'internal'
queries will get the internal address.

An alternative is to edit the hosts file on every machine that needs
to resolve to the internal address.

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Rod Dorman wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I have a CISCO SOHO 91 router and on my LAN I have a web server. My
> >SOHO 91 is connected to an ADSL modem so it get a new IP address every
> >24h from my ISP.

> i.e. you don't have a static address,
>
> >I managed to configure it so that people can access my server from the
> >internet,

> Have you checked to make sure that's permitted by your ISP's TOS?
>
> >but when I try accessing it from one of my inside computers
> >using external IP address (dyndns - works from the outside), it won't
> >work.
> >Is it possible to make this work? I'd like to be able to access my
> >inside web server from the inside using outside IP address.

> The recommended way to do this is to run split DNS so 'internal'
> queries will get the internal address.
>
> An alternative is to edit the hosts file on every machine that needs
> to resolve to the internal address.

I have the (quite possibly mistaken) idea that the NATter should
be able to takecare of this but various (small) efforts have failed to
make it work. There has been some discussion here about it
over the last year or so.

i.e. The router "knows" that you have a static nat configured
and as part of the nat process it fixes up the DNS responses to
point to your internal address in the case where the returned
address is your external static nat address.

Maybe a figment of my imagination.