Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > naive routing base on interface and tcp

Reply
Thread Tools

naive routing base on interface and tcp

 
 
gg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2007
for IONS, is it possible to route traffic based on TCP port number say 123
to say FE3 to which is attached a firewall gateway with different network or
subnet address?

what is happening is that I got only two external Wan ports to work with
cisco1811, and I need another wan or two


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Walter Roberson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2007
In article <d2Dqh.149511$YV4.81619@edtnps89>, gg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>for IONS, is it possible to route traffic based on TCP port number say 123
>to say FE3 to which is attached a firewall gateway with different network or
>subnet address?


It depends upon the IOS version and hardware involved, but what you
are talking about appears to be what Cisco calls "Policy Based Routing"
(PBR), which is available on a wide variety of platforms and software
versions.

I am not certain from what you wrote whether you need the destination
address to be changed along the way, or if you just need to route
the packets selectively and the next hop will take care of the delivery.
Selective Port Address Translation (PAT) is possible, but generally
speaking it needs newer software versions than PBR does.

>what is happening is that I got only two external Wan ports to work with
>cisco1811, and I need another wan or two


If your requirement is to have additional public address blocks, then
you can arrange with your ISP to deliver traffic for those new blocks
to you over one of the existing WAN port. If, though, your requirement
is to more WAN hardware connections (e.g., a third T1 line) then
matters may become more difficult.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2007
thank you very much for your answers
the 18111/k9 IOS is the latest 14.4(6)T

I am still researching on the Exchange Non Delivery Report traffic. I think
the end delivery address does need to change.
I do expect the L2 router firewall to translate (Nat) the inside address to
appropriately to use the external IP of the L2 router Firewall connected to
FE3. Is that L2 router firewall what you call next hop?

"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsPPqh.657848$1T2.149625@pd7urf2no...
> In article <d2Dqh.149511$YV4.81619@edtnps89>, gg <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>for IONS, is it possible to route traffic based on TCP port number say 123
>>to say FE3 to which is attached a firewall gateway with different network
>>or
>>subnet address?

>
> It depends upon the IOS version and hardware involved, but what you
> are talking about appears to be what Cisco calls "Policy Based Routing"
> (PBR), which is available on a wide variety of platforms and software
> versions.
>
> I am not certain from what you wrote whether you need the destination
> address to be changed along the way, or if you just need to route
> the packets selectively and the next hop will take care of the delivery.
> Selective Port Address Translation (PAT) is possible, but generally
> speaking it needs newer software versions than PBR does.
>
>>what is happening is that I got only two external Wan ports to work with
>>cisco1811, and I need another wan or two

>
> If your requirement is to have additional public address blocks, then
> you can arrange with your ISP to deliver traffic for those new blocks
> to you over one of the existing WAN port. If, though, your requirement
> is to more WAN hardware connections (e.g., a third T1 line) then
> matters may become more difficult.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tcp/ip vs microsoft tcp/ip ver 6 john Computer Support 1 08-05-2005 02:45 PM
PIX 506E Routing from Inside Interface network To outside interface network marti314 Cisco 1 08-05-2005 02:50 AM
NAT two outside TCP ports to one inside TCP port Kevin Cisco 1 11-10-2004 08:15 AM
Secure and compressed TCP/IP connection (for any TCP/IP services and applications) Pavel Aronovich Computer Security 0 02-22-2004 08:35 AM
LPR/Standard, TCP/IP, HP TCP/IP Ports DJ Chiro MCSE 1 11-07-2003 08:06 PM



Advertisments