Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Regarding MCSD in VC++

Regarding MCSD in VC++

Karthik

Hai,
I am planning to for MCSD certification but bit
perplexed which branch to choose. I look forward for
someone's reply to this mail. I will be very glad to
receive it soon. Well, I am software developer in C, C++.
I planned to go for MCSD in Vc++ as it will be inline with
my domain. But I heard Microsoft will take out this exam
on June 30 2004. Should I go for Vc++ or in .NET ? I fear
taking .NET will change my domain of job entirely? Am i
right or will my exoerience in job still counts if I take
in .NET? Please give a immediate reply about my issue.

with regards,
Karthik.

mk

Way back when MCP exams were first announced in beta, the
VC++.Net betas were supposed to be just around the
corner. I don't doubt MS support for VC++, but there
have been massive changes to the VC++ product (increased
ANSI compliance, very significant support for
managed/unmanaged scenarios, and considerable
improvements to ATL/OLEDB, among many others) so I
suppose there are good reasons for the delay. Its still
my language of choice and you can achieve things in
VC++.Net that just can't be done otherwise, such as
native code, custom marshalling, and mscorsvr GC, etc.
I would recommend that you proceed with MCSD.Net
(probably concentrating on C#), if VC++.Net exams appear
circa June 30 2004, then you can always take those in
addition. In any event, your exam qualifications only
support a good resume, they don't make one and they
certainly can't hurt so don't worry about your job
domain. Best of luck.

HTH,

mk

Kline Sphere

Well put.

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:45:49 -0800, "mk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Way back when MCP exams were first announced in beta, the
>VC++.Net betas were supposed to be just around the
>corner. I don't doubt MS support for VC++, but there
>have been massive changes to the VC++ product (increased
>ANSI compliance, very significant support for
>managed/unmanaged scenarios, and considerable
>improvements to ATL/OLEDB, among many others) so I
>suppose there are good reasons for the delay. Its still
>my language of choice and you can achieve things in
>VC++.Net that just can't be done otherwise, such as
>native code, custom marshalling, and mscorsvr GC, etc.
>I would recommend that you proceed with MCSD.Net
>(probably concentrating on C#), if VC++.Net exams appear
>circa June 30 2004, then you can always take those in
>addition. In any event, your exam qualifications only
>support a good resume, they don't make one and they
>certainly can't hurt so don't worry about your job
>domain. Best of luck.
>
>HTH,
>
>mk

Joe

Yes, a lot better than your noisy contributions.

"Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well put.
>
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:45:49 -0800, "mk"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Way back when MCP exams were first announced in beta, the
> >VC++.Net betas were supposed to be just around the
> >corner. I don't doubt MS support for VC++, but there
> >have been massive changes to the VC++ product (increased
> >ANSI compliance, very significant support for
> >managed/unmanaged scenarios, and considerable
> >improvements to ATL/OLEDB, among many others) so I
> >suppose there are good reasons for the delay. Its still
> >my language of choice and you can achieve things in
> >VC++.Net that just can't be done otherwise, such as
> >native code, custom marshalling, and mscorsvr GC, etc.
> >I would recommend that you proceed with MCSD.Net
> >(probably concentrating on C#), if VC++.Net exams appear
> >circa June 30 2004, then you can always take those in
> >addition. In any event, your exam qualifications only
> >support a good resume, they don't make one and they
> >certainly can't hurt so don't worry about your job
> >domain. Best of luck.
> >
> >HTH,
> >
> >mk

Ian Ringrose

The problem is that MCP exams never worked well for C++.

The MCP exam is meant to test most things a programmer needs to do their
job.

However no 2 C++ programs use the same set of APIs.

So the C++ client exam has the Win32, ALT, and MFC (+ .NET to be added)
APIs on it. However no C++ programmer makes use of all 3 API. The exams
therefore has to have a VERY low pass mark, or no one will pass.

Due to the fact that C++ programmers are VERY complex, the hard part of the
job is to understand the code you have to work with, not the Microsoft APIs.

In other words, the C++ MCPs are VERY hard to pass, but meaningless in the
real world.

"Karthik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0b0b01c3a151$f58a4b90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hai,
> I am planning to for MCSD certification but bit
> perplexed which branch to choose. I look forward for
> someone's reply to this mail. I will be very glad to
> receive it soon. Well, I am software developer in C, C++.
> I planned to go for MCSD in Vc++ as it will be inline with
> my domain. But I heard Microsoft will take out this exam
> on June 30 2004. Should I go for Vc++ or in .NET ? I fear
> taking .NET will change my domain of job entirely? Am i
> right or will my exoerience in job still counts if I take
> in .NET? Please give a immediate reply about my issue.
>
> with regards,
> Karthik.

Kline Sphere

>So the C++ client exam has the Win32, ALT, and MFC (+ .NET to be added)
>APIs on it. However no C++ programmer makes use of all 3 API.

In other words the development is flexible.

Just because a tool is feature rich, does mean an application must be
build to use each and every feature.

> The exams
>therefore has to have a VERY low pass mark, or no one will pass.

I agree the passing score for both 15 & 16 were ridiculously low.
However I would imagine that most people who took the exams passed
easily.

MCSD vs MCSD.net Maria MCSD 0 07-18-2003 09:26 PM
MCSD vs MCSD.net Georges MCSD 0 07-18-2003 06:19 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Davin MCSD 0 06-30-2003 03:26 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Cindy Winegarden MCSD 0 06-29-2003 07:42 PM
How to upgrade from MCSD to MCSD.Net? Deena MCSD 1 06-29-2003 10:53 AM

Advertisments